• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Convert Editable Spline to Mesh

Country
unitedstates
If the spline is not fully linked this can cause it to disappear. Sometimes it looks like it's missing but it's just upside down. So use the element tool under selections and then click flip normals. Or just rotate the part. I would also convert to poly rather than mesh as mesh is considered messy with the edge lines adding more lines than needed.

Country
us-newjersey
Thanks for the tip - the problem was the spline was never closed. I'm now trying to do curves, I was able to bend a line but then after I make a new vertex, it keeps bending and I can't get it straight. How do I fix that?

Country
us-newjersey
Thanks - I changed it to those settings and it didn't work either. I'm currently trying to trace the following : http://prntscr.com/8me51h And here are the settings now : http://prntscr.com/8me55y
Basically, I start at a vertex, I click a new vertex and hold it to curve it. Then, I would let go and continue, but in this case, the curve still moves - how should I prevent this? Apologies for all of the basic questions..

Country
unitedstates
Your settings are correct. No need to apologize for questions on FS Developer!

1. To curve a line you hold the left mouse button down as you move the mouse. You do not have to continue to hold this button down once you start to move the mouse. But you will need to click one more time to finish the curve. If your going to make curve after curve you repeat this step above without a single click.
2. To create a straight line you single click!

Last edited:
Country
us-newjersey
I appreciate the help! I was able to make the straight line, then after, I made a curve - when I clicked to finish the curve, it made a vertex wherever I clicked. Is there somewhere specific I should click to make it work afterwards?

Country
unitedstates
You click and hold then move the mouse so you can stop holding, then keep moving to create the curve. Once your happy with the curve you single click without moving the mouse then move the mouse to another location and single click again creating a straight line.

A curve will have 3 vertex points. It's a bit strange how they made this work but once you get it it's works good! Try using these steps until you have mastered it.

Country
us-newjersey
Each time I single click without moving the mouse, the cursor is somewhere else on the map where I don't want it to be. I was able to click/hold and get the curve but when I clicked w/o moving (left click), it created a vertex there.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If you've drawn the curve with starting and ending vertices, right-click finishes the job and lets you go on to something else.

Country
unitedstates
See if this helps!

LINE_TOOL_1.jpg
LINE_TOOL_2.jpg

Country
us-newjersey
Fantastic! Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to make the screenshots :)

Country
us-newjersey
Well, I just came to another conclusion : only one texture can be applied when drawing...

So what would be the best way to make the custom runways/taxiways? I have textures for the runway and aprons (two different asphalt textures). Here's a link to what I'm trying to achieve : http://prntscr.com/8o3kjr
The airport is Princeton (39N) in New Jersey.

Country
unitedstates
I think most design a texture for each section. For example make the runway in 12 sections. This way every sections can blend to another and then your aprons can have there own style of art work. This also makes the quality much higher!