1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting FS models

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by gjaegy, 5/2/07.

1. gjaegy

gjaegy

Hi guys,

Arno, I have sent you an email on this topic before I found this forum, sorry about that...

I am very interested in this forum, as I may have to implement an aircraft MDL model converter in the future (not sure yet). Right now, I have to give my boss an answer, whether it would be possible or not, and how much time it would take.

From what I see, there is still some information missing on the new MDL format. But considering the community activity, it seems there won't be any secret left very soon ;)

So guys, any hint would help me, as I have to give an answer very quickly... BTW, if someone knows how much time would be needed to implement a reader for the format...

In the future, if this task has to be done, I think I will release the reader as an opensource project. This would be compensate the work from the community!

Thanks a lot for any help,
    Gregory
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Gregory,

I have already replied to your email, but I will post the text here as well. So that we can have the discussion here:

3. gjaegy

gjaegy

Hi Arno,

thanks a lot for the answer. Concerning the rights, we don't intend reselling the converted models. We have created our own models (in our internal format), that are the one we resell. We may provide this specific customer with a converter, in order to allow him to extend his own database with FS models. But we don't make money reselling other people's models.

Concerning the animations, hmm, hard to tell right now, I have now idea how they are defined in FS... They may not be compatible with our format.

Just a last question (then I will stop poluating this thread, sorry about that :), does someone knows how many LODs are usually included in a MDL aircraft model?

Thanks again,
    and sorry for having poluated this thread...
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I moved these posts into a new thread, so that we can discuss them without polluting the other one :).

I am not a lawyer, but even when you give someone a converter, I don't think he always has the right to use the models in his application. The author would still have to agree to that in most cases. But as I am not a lawyer, I'll stop about this issue now :).

I think most models have about 3 or 4 LOD models contained in them. But I am not sure if this is really a fixed rule.
  5. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    There is no real rule to it. I have done a payware aircraft in the past with only one LOD. However I have also created one with 8. My current project will have somewhere from 2-4. It truly just depends on the author's preference.

BTW, gjaegy, if I were making a tool like yours I would make the user accept an EULA that says they can not redistribute any derivative works of anything converted with the tool unless they own the copyright or have permission from the holder. It would cover your butt legally.

If you think these legal troubles don't happen in the software industry, you're wrong. As an example, authors of filesharing clients often get taken to court. No, they haven't done anything illegal. But unless if they explicitly state that the user cannot use it for copyrighted content, they can still be sued.

Point is, it is better to be safe than to be sorry

Cheers,
    Sean
  6. Burkhard

Burkhard

For AI capable aircrafts, 7-9 LODs are the best choice, 400-200-100-50-25-13-8-4-2 is a typical stepping, with the LOD002 an empty model. If you make less, either the LOD switches are too clearly visible, or you vaste resources. A simple calculation shows that if you omitt the even LODS of the above model, it needs in average twice the CPU power.