1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying texture from polygon to polygon

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by Fern, 2/12/06.

1. Fern

Fern

canada
    Hi,

gmax

Is it possible to copy a texture from one polygon of an objetc to another polygon of the same object?

Example: a box, to be a house, has 4 vertical faces. Is it possible to apply texture to one face and just copy it onto another face?

This is a very handy feature of EOD, which we don't use anymore...

Thanks

Fern
  2. toprob

toprob

I don't think you can copy, as such, but you can certainly select more than one face to texture at a time.
    When you add a texture to a box (while it remains a box), you should get the same texture on each face anyway. I normally use Unwrap UVW, so the first thing I do when I want the same texture is to leave FilterSelectedfaces off and map all the faces at once. Then I can turn FilterSelectedfaces back on to do the roof etc.
    Once you convert to an Editable Polygon you can still select multiple faces.
  3. Fern

Fern

canada
    Same texture in several polygon

Thanks, TopRob

I have used that before but, depending what one is trying to do, one may end up with too many vertices in the same spot, making it too difficult to set them all in the right spot.

It is a solution, though.

It surprises me that gmax doesn't have the feature available. gmax seems to have everything else. That's why I would't be surprised if someone had said "Oh, yes, just click on the Utilities tab, then on the this-and-that..." Well, that is what I was hoping someone would say...:D

Thanks.

Fern
  4. bob5568

bob5568

Fern, no such luck. I remember coping textures from one face to another from VOD days. It was a convenience I miss, but its pretty minor issue imho.

Bob
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Fern,

After applying the texture to all the polygons as needed, you can map it for each one seperately. I think that should reduce your vertices mess a bit.
  6. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

The simplest way to do this is to use Face texturing. It's in the UVW Map rollout where it gives you a list of texturing types (Planar, Cylindrical, etc.). If you select all the faces (i.e. polygons) that should get this texture, apply the UVW Map modifier, and choose Face, then each polygon will get textured identically. The simplest way to adjust the texturing is to then add a UVW Unwrap modifier and move the four vertices to the correct location on the texture.

Hope this helps,
  7. tsgucci

tsgucci

hungary
    Hello!

This is what I was looking for, but after reading it I'm a little bit disappointed.

I created a controll Tower from a cylinder, having 18 faces. I have to do the UnwrapUWV for every faces and of course it is a boring job. Also I'm not able to position the edges to the exactly same position and maybe it consume more performance from FS.
    I'll try the solution of tgibson, even if I do not really understand it.
  8. tsgucci

tsgucci

hungary
    GREAT! Thanks!

I tried it, it works!