1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating A Library with Objects Designed Using FSDS

Discussion in 'Library Creator XML' started by docg, 25/1/07.

1. docg

docg

us-arkansas
    I'm new to this so with that said here's what I'm trying to do.

A few years ago I used FSDS V1.xxx to create scenery objects. Now, I'd like to make these scenery objects available in FSX via the object placer.

I'm trying to use FSDS V3 to create mdl files that are recognized by Library Creator and will compile into libraries.

I load the objects into FSDS V3. Then I use the Create Scenery Object option in FSDS V3 to create a .mdl file. This gives me a .mdl file of 57 KB.

Next, running Library Creator V2 alpha, I create a new library, save it and add the newly created mdl. That part goes fine, but when I compile the library I get errors and the compile fails.

Is the mdl file created with FSDS V3 compatible?.

Thanks for any help

Doc G
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Doc,

Yes, Library Creator 2.0 should work with MDL files created with FSDS3 as well. Are you having the same errors as described in this thread?

When using FSDS3 you can also use the current version of Library Creator XML by the way (so the version not made for FsX), as the MDL files you create are in the Fs2004 format.
  3. docg

docg

us-arkansas
    Hi Arno,

Thanks for the reply.

Problem solved. It was simply a case of the mdl file not being in the right directory.

I now have a test library with 5 scenery objects. Is there any way that this library can be used with the FSX Object Placer?

Thanks Again

Doc G
  4. arno

netherlands
    Just place it in an active scenery folder and the objects should show up in the Object Placement tool for your use.
  5. docg

docg

us-arkansas
    Thanks Arno. The test library is in place and the objects are seen by object placer.

I appreciate your help.

Doc G
  6. adr179

adr179

slovenia
    @docg:

Could you please be so nice and explain how you did that. I'm trying exactlly the same thing and always end up with FS9 library, but can't manage to get library creator going to make me FS X library?

Your answer would be much appreciated.
  7. docg

docg

us-arkansas
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to this so my answer may seem off base. Are you running the latest version of Library Creator?

I'm assuming you end up with a library.bgl file in FS9. Have you tried just copying or moving that .bgl over to FSX?

If that's no help then basically here's what I'm doing.

Load the old FSDS project into FSDS v3. I get a popup window asking about removing FS2000 condition checks. I click yes.

Save the FSDS project and then save it as a scenery object file (.mdl)

Exit FSDS and load Library Creator.
    Load your library.xml file.
    Click add new object.
    Browse or navigate to the folder that contains the mdl file.
    Click on the file name and then click on open.
    Your newly added object's guid should appear in the Library Creator window.
    Save the xml file and then compile the bgl.
    My library.bgl file saves in the Library Creator folder so after compiling I manually move or copy it over to the FSX Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.
    Make sure you have all required textures in the textuxe folder.

As Arno pointed out in another thread, SP1 adds an extra zero to the guid so when you run Object Placer you'll have to look a little closer at the guid number.

Hope this is of some help.

Doc G
  8. Simon853

Simon853

I have a related question:

If I compile a scenery object into an mdl using FSDS, it requires I supply a lat and long, etc. If were to then use Library Creator, does this override the lat/long that I supplied during compilation? i.e. If I then used Object Placement Tool to add a new instance of these objects, would I end up with two, one using the FSDS supplied values and another with the OPT placed values?

Thanks,

Si
  9. docg

docg

us-arkansas
    Hi,

When compliling a scenery object into a mdl file in FSDS, for use with Library Creator, under Project Properties, I leave the FSDS default location. I don't change anything there. Apparently Object Placer overides that information.

The second part of your question, I don't think you end up with two objects.

Doc G
  10. Simon853

Simon853

Thanks Doc.

Si
  11. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

When you compile a MDL object, no placement is contained in it. So any coordinates you enter in FSDS will not end up in it.

To make a FsX style library, you will have to use FsX style MDL objects, else Library Creator XML will also make a Fs2004 style library. But as mentioned before, these can still be loaded in FsX as well.
  12. adr179

adr179

slovenia
    Thank you Arno, that is exactlly what I wanted to know. So just to clarify this matter to de death bottom:
    FSDS 3 does create models that can be compiled into library with Library creator XML and those libraries do work in FS X, I presume due to some backwards compatibility.
    What goes on with seasonal changes, day - night changes and animations of libraries actually made for FS9 and the containing models, is on us to discover.
    Some may work flawlessly and others may not . . .
  13. arno

netherlands
    Yes, correct. Fs2004 MDL objects still work in FsX due to the backwards compatibility.

Most of that should still work, I have not seen much trouble. Only big issue is that non-textured polygons show as black in FsX.