1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating/adding droppable objects

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by Ripcord, 24/1/10.

1. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    I used GMAX to create a very very simple model, basically a yellow cylinder, and exported it to an .MDL object, assigned it a name and a GUID.

In fact I managed to successfully incorporate it into a BGL library with the library compiler tool that I downloaded on this website, but I didn't add it into FSX -- didn't want to have it there as a fixed object. What I want to do is add it as a droppable object.

Now, earlier this morning I learned how to add some other add-on droppable objects, such as an MK82 bomb, and I successfully incorporated that into a mission and dropped a few from the FSX Acc FA-18. Kinda cool.

And, I was able to add my basic object (calling it a buoy) and get it to load into my mission. And when I drop them I see the counter decrease, but nothing shows up. Is it something wrong with my textures?

Ripcord

EDIT: I found the problem, a mistake in the reference of the MDL file name in cfg file. And of course my object is almost as big as my airplane -- but I think I can fix that. : )
    Last edited: 24/1/10
  2. Ripcord

Ripcord

us-texas
    Somebody in another thread recommended this 'the stupid idiots guide to Gmax' page and so far it has been helpful... sorted out my problem in minutes.

Anyway, I've whipped up a real basic white cylinder that is my primitive sonobuoy and I'm dropping them out of S-3B Vikings -- which for me is pretty heady stuff. I figure if I can whip a periscope or even a periscope wake then I'll really be onto something here....

but here is my question at this stage -- my droppable object falls out from the mid point of my aircraft. How can I get the object to fall out just a little further aft in the tail section? Or can this be done?

Ripcord