1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSXA dds files

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Pyscen, 1/6/10.

1. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Arno or anyone...

I'm noticing a alot of drive activity when using dds files in MCX and after awhile MCX stops and states "out of memory". This occurs when placing them in the Material editor (and wasn't completed in doing so). MCX ask to either quit or continue etc... Trying to continue only causes additional problems.. I have 1 gig memory... possibly a memory leak? I have tried to do other things such as not placing all the dds files such as specular, bump etc though all the diffuse textures,... but when adding the others (bump etc), its starts up again.... Drawcalls: 43, Triangles: 8140 and 10459 Texture vertices.

Edited: Attempted again and got a "Microsoft .NET Framework" error and states:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue,....

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The parameter is incorrect
    at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.CreateCompatibleDIB(IntPtr hdc, IntPtr hpal, Int32 ulWidth, Int32 ulHeight, IntPtr& ppvBits)
    at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.CreateBuffer(IntPtr src, Int32 offsetX, Int32 offsetY, Int32 width, Int32 height)
    at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.AllocBuffer(Graphics targetGraphics, IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
    at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.AllocBufferInTempManager(Graphics targetGraphics, IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
    at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.Allocate(IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGridInternal.PropertyGridView.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    ModelConverterX
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/ModelConverterX.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    ObjectWriter
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/ObjectWriter.DLL
    TextureObject
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/TextureObject.DLL
    ObjectModel3D
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/ObjectModel3D.DLL
    ObjectRenderer
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/ObjectRenderer.DLL
    GRV11DLL
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/GRV11DLL.DLL
    ObjectReader
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/ObjectReader.DLL
    TextureLoader
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/TextureLoader.DLL
    ObjectEditor
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/FS%20Design%20Tools/ModelConverterX/ObjectEditor.DLL
    System.Design
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll
    System.Drawing.Design
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.Design.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

This was placing _lm files in their corresponding places... and this came up.
    Last edited: 1/6/10
  2. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    I have a question relating to the same subject too:

When I load up a BGL file from FSX (within the scenery directory) and the dds files being used on thoses models... the info concerning the dds files is being inputed into the corresponding spots (such as diffuse, ambient colors, etc as well as the Emissive Mode). I noticed that if I load in other dds file or used default dds files into another model that I create those bits of information isn't being filled in... was this by design?

I would think if you would use or create a dds file, those pieces of information would be filled in; whether it was load from a bgl or not. Would I be right about that?

Just wondering :)
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Doug,

This happens with any model? Seems like I need to test a bit more if the material editor does not have a memory leak somewhere.

I am not sure if I understand the second question. These parameters you mention are part of the material. If you would change the texture file used the other material settings would not change. They are not linked to a specific textures.
  4. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    For instance: the default texture "sky_w_red3.dds" on model:
    80e8ccee-7f76-44c3-a3cf-1afa2f4d2365 KDAL terminal
    (OBX22200.bgl) the material editor is calling up:
    61, 56, 47 diffuse/ambient color
    255,255,255 specular color

Blend on the Emissive mode

I think a few other things were different then the default

If I used this same texture on a different model wouldn't it not have the same info, since the information on the texture is in the texture and not the model?

as of right now its the only model but it has done this before on others but that was way back when and has done it since now, with (the lastest) this version.

I have noticed that if I loaded say the previous bgl file and then the model I'm working on... it does activate my drive more... or load up other models of mine... if that helps..
    Last edited: 2/6/10
  5. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    No, those data are stored in the model...

Those are data properties of the Material definitions created in Max/GMax and exported with the model.

The bitmaps contain nothing but ARGB information...
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Doug,

As Bill said that is part of the material and stored in the model. The material also contains a reference to the texture file that should be used. All these things together determine how the object will look.

The texture itself is just a collection of coloured pixels. They have no knowledge about night textures, how shiny they are or whatever. That is all part of the material.

So by changing the material settings you can get exactly the same texture to appear different on an object.
  7. arno

netherlands
    Hi Doug,

I can confirm there is indeed a memory leak when changing textures very often in the material editor. I am trying to implement a fix for this now.
  8. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I think I have fixed the memory leak. Could you try again with the next development release tomorrow?
  9. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Yes I can,... in fact I might be able shortly due to the time changes involved... on the material editor and what stored in the texture etc... ok... I guess I misunderstood on one of the previous questions that I asked before about what is stored. Now that I have that clear,... I can move forward and adjusting accordingly.
  10. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Arno,...

It appears that did the trick... will continue working with and will notify you if it hadn't.... Thanks again!!

:D