1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default runway/airport just won't go away :(

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by coolguns, 4/4/08.

1. coolguns

coolguns

australia
    Hi,

I'm having issues with YPJT. It just doesn't want to go away. I'm using FS Architect on FS2002 do redo this airport. I have entered the correct long/lats for the airport and the runways, and have told FS Architect to remove the default airport, runways, approaches etc. The BGL file compiles without error. I have flattened the entire airport and the base height of my build is correct.

I have added my new scenery folder to FS2002 and then loaded my new YPJT. However, the old runways still appear, my taxiways are lined up almost exactly but are unusable (aircraft behaves as if on rough ground). If my taxiways and aprons were acually usable I could almost accept the default runways still being there and work around it, but they don't :(

Also, using AFCAD 1.4 to remove the default control tower (which I need to get rid of) doesn't seem to work either, regardless of whether my new Airport is in my scenery or not. Shouldn't that be simple??? Even that has me stumped. I've ensured the entire fs2002/scenedb folder and subfolders are not set to read only. I'm really scratching my brain over this, its as if the default airport doesn't want to play ball at all, either with AFCAD or with FS Architect.

Any help with this will be appreciated as Jandakot Airport (YPJT) in Perth Australia is THE busiest airfield in the country and I am learning to fly in RL there. I know many other pilots from Jandakot that would like our airfield updated in FS2002/FS2004 and I have the skills to do this, well at least I thought so!!

ANY clues or suggestions on how to proceed and I'll buy you a case of beer!!

Keep your nose up in the turns...
    CoolGunS

EDIT:
    I'm willing to use other software do get the results if FS Architect isn't up to the task, but I'd prefer to use the program I'm familiar with. As I have said, ANY suggestions will be appreciated I am new to this but I learn fast (Network Engineer by profession) and its good to know that there are people out there that have far more experience with this sort of thing than I do.
    Last edited: 4/4/08
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Let me start by saying that in FS2002 AFCAD is only used for the AI traffic. So if does not determine your control tower and also does not allow you to remove it.

What you should try is to make one big exclude around your airport, that should be possible with FS Architect as well. Then all the default scenery should be gone, once you place this exclude BGL in the scenery folder of your project. After that you can rebuild the airport again in the tool of your choice.

I am not so familiar with FS Architect, but I would also check if it is making scenery for FS2002. If some FS2004 code is used it will not work with FS2002.
  3. coolguns

coolguns

australia
    Thankyou very much. I feel like such an idiot, FS Architect doesn't support FS2002! I'd found it on a website that had a download for FS2002 Scenery tools. Not impressed, wasted a lot of time there trying to fix a ghost.

However, now for the good news. I'm well on my way to completing YPJT in FSSC. I've told FSSC to exclude the default YPJT and all is proceeding well!

But I do have one question. You mentioned I can use AFCAD to assign AI, parking etc. Will it open the FSSC afd file? The reason I'm asking is that I've tried it (AFCAD 1.4 for FS2002) and it says its incompatible.

Obviously I'd like to get some AI happening at my field.

Thanks again.
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I would not expect AFCAD to open a FSSC file
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

No, the AFD file that FSSC made is for FS2000. For FS2002 you can better forget that file and use AFCAD to edit that information.
  6. coolguns

coolguns

australia
    Ok, I'm really flying along here now. AFCAD is working fine on the AFD that FSSC created, and I've told FSSC to no longer create the AFD file when compiling if I make changes to the scenery.

Basically this is where I'm at

1. Finished creating the scenery for YPJT in FSSC.
    2. Imported the AFD file into AFCAD and added taxiway paths, start locations, plenty of parking and a tower for COMMS. No faults found using AFCAD fault finder.
    3. Removed the start locations from the stock YPJT using AFCAD because I noticed duplicate start locations when in FS2002 (fixed).
    4. Created a flight plan for YPJT AI using YRoute and TrafficTools.
    5. Compiled the new traffic.bgl without errors, decompiled again and doublechecked the flightplan.txt file inlcuded my new AI schedules.

So, whats my problem now you may ask? Ok there are two things remaining to fix.

1. YPJT Ground Control does not seem to know about the taxiways, and no progressive taxi option in the ATC window.:(
    2. The AI is not appearing. :mad:

I tried adding taxiway designations in AFCAD to solve problem 1(although I've read somewhere that FS2002 doesn't really care if the taxiways are assigned designations or not) and that hasn't helped. I know that the taxiway paths in AFCAD compile ok so I'm a little stumped as to what is going on. My start locations and parking appear in the Create a Flight screen of FS2002 and work fine when loading the airfield. HELP!!

As for the AI, again I'm stumped because the traffic.bgl is fine, the parking I created is all for Small GA and my flight schedules only include the default FS GA aircraft. I have more than adequate parking. I've plenty of flights assigned to my airport and have allowed for GMT when plane spotting for AI since the schedules are built around GMT and not local time for the airfield.

I'm wondering if the two problems are related? IE if I fix the progressive parking suddenly my AI will appear?

Again, any help is appreciated. I'm kinda addicted to this little project and once I get it over the line I plan to fix a whole lot more airfields I plan to fly to in RL.

Thankyou
    Mark.
    Last edited: 14/4/08
  7. coolguns

coolguns

australia
    Ok I've fixed problem 1 :D The problem was staring me in the face all along, and I feel like an idiot but here's how I solved it.

I restored the stock YPJT AFCAD for FS2002 because it does have ATC. Then I exported it with AFCAD as a txt file so that I could edit it in notepad.

Then I did the same thing with my custom AFCAD. I simply added the stock YPJT's 'Communications' settings to my file, and also replaced the 'Homefile' setting of my AFCAD with that of the stock file.

Then using AFInstaller I installed my AFCAD, which of course updated the stock YPJT with my taxiways paths etc. Finally, I removed my AFD file from my addon library scenery folder so that it wouldn't interfere once FS2002 loaded up.

Wicked! :) :)
    ;
    However, still no AI. :( Therefore still need suggestions for this one. If I find a fix myself I'll post it here.

Thanks.
    Last edited: 14/4/08
  8. coolguns

coolguns

australia
    WOOHOO!

Problem 2 is now solved, I'm all done now. The issue there was that with FS2002 you can only have one traffic.bgl file. I had a copy in the same folder which was the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm now done and there are many happy RL pilots at Jandakot airport who can finally practice with a nice airfield and have some AI company to fly with.

:D:D:D