1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Scenery Manipulation

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by Hurricane1055, 15/2/06.

1. Hurricane1055

Hurricane1055

us-nebraska
    I'm the designated FNG to the scenery community and have a brief question...

I understand some default scenery is limited to certain geographic areas. Why is that so? What's the loophole? There are some hangars at Oshkosh that closely replicate some hangars in the Seattle area in real life. I'd like to use them, but can't get it to work in EZ Scenery.

What is the sequence that will enable me to get a specific hangar from a separate geographic area to another given area? I haven't been able to locate a discussion thread that has the solution.

Now brace for a real novice question... what's the difference between a .bgl, xml & .mdl? What would an individual hangar be classified as?

Appreciate the patience... your next pint is on me.
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

That is not possible without changing or hacking the default files, so that is no good idea. The best solution is to try to find another library with hangars you can use or design your own.

I don't know why MS has added this restriction, but we can't do anything about it, unless we start to change those default files as I mentioned above.

MDL files contain the objects. So this is just a definition of the polygons, textures, materials, etc. The XML file does the placement of the objects, so it allows you to place a MDL object at a certain location. BGLComp is a compiler that makes a BGL file out of a XML file (and all needed MDL files).

So a hangar can be in a BGL file or in a MDL file. But in the end everything ends up in a BGL file.