1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Description in XML files?

Discussion in 'ObPlacer and ObPlacer XML' started by fredz, 10/10/05.

1. fredz

fredz

us-california
    Hi all, Quick question. Is there a way to add a description for an item in XML file that will not mess up the compile? My memory is not what it should be sometimes :eek: and I would like to put a reference description like 'small tower' near the Library object name. Thanks for the assistance.
    Later,
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Fred,

There is a field called comment in the properties. By default it has the text "Object" followed by a number, but you can add any text you like there. It is then shown in ObPlacer XML and as comment in the XML file.
  3. fredz

fredz

us-california
    Arno, Thanks for the info. Should help with the brain fade!
    Later,
  4. lmoelleb

lmoelleb

Instead of relying on existing fields, you could simply use an XML comment:

<!-- this is an XML comment -->
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    When using the comment option in the ObPlacer XML GUI it is written to the XML with this command of course. But when you start adding them to your XML file manual I can not garantuee that ObPlacer XML will show them all correctly of course. And the main purpose of using a GUI like ObPlacer XML is of course to not have to edit the source manual.
  6. lmoelleb

lmoelleb

Oops, I was reading the post though "new posts" and did not notice it was specific to obplacer. It looked like a generic XML question.
  7. fredz

fredz

us-california
    Lars and Arno, thanks to both of you. My original question was not directed only at ObPlacer XML but was for manually entered XML as well. I have a bunch of XML files that I created before I found ObPlacer XML so I have to fix them too.
    Later,