1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Detail map? Not Exporting in FSX Materials

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by hcornea, 25/1/10.

1. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Detail map(?) Not Exporting Correctly in FSX Materials

Another thread for another issue.

As explained elsewhere - I am using Modelconverter to "post-process" FSX_Gmax created files.

I am not sure if bump and detail map settings are exporting properly ... this texture has a tiled detail and bump map ... the bump still seems to be there (but diminished) and the detail map seems absent.)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 25/1/10
  2. hcornea

australia
    Further Information:

On rechecking the Modelconverter processed model - the Detail Scale Value has dropped to 0, from 20.

It would appear this value reads ok from a freshly exported model, but doesn;t "write" properly into the FSX MDL file.

The Bump "amount" (next to the where the Map is specified in Gmax) doesn't seem to be present in the ModelconverterX material settings. I suspect this is not being read / written properly.

Many thanks for your work on this.
    Last edited: 25/1/10
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Thanks for the information. Let me check, it sounds like you found a bug and some of the settings are not written correctly when exporting. I will look into this.
  4. hcornea

australia
    I think the problem in the other thread is a different one.

In this case the detail/bump settings don't export. In the other, the material doesn;t appear in the sim (even though MdlComverterX can re-import the processed model)

That was the reason for the two threads ... but we can keep it all here :)
  5. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I think it is a similar problem indeed. I will check the X writer for the material settings, since it seems some things are going wrong there.
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

I have fixed the bug of the detail map not being exported. For the rest I can't find missing parameters now. If you find any more, please let me know.
  7. hcornea

australia
    I'll grab the Development release and test both issues again.

Thanks once again, Arno.
  8. hcornea

australia
    Detail Map looks Fixed ... Thanks Arno !!
    Last edited: 28/1/10
  9. hcornea

australia
    Hmmm .. the missing material problem persists.

This is a very odd one, and must relate to something about this material - because it happens on two models that use this material, but I have not seen the same thing on any other models.

Just to recap:

The material in question is an FSX material, standard diffuse dds texture with alpha (DXT5), Global Environment Map as reflection, modulate by inverse diffuse alpha.

Now for the weird bit:

After processing through ModelconverterX, with the batch switch enabled, this material disappears from the model (not flipped normals ... just nothing) ... but if I load it again into ModelConverterX it displays.

Very very odd.

I can PM a link to the MDL and textures if you would like, but can't post it here unfortunately.

A sudden thought - could it be blending diffuse by inv spec alpha (ie nonexistent), or confusing the blend checkboxes?
    Last edited: 28/1/10
  10. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

Are you sure you used the latest development release? The detail map issue should be fixed in that. It is made every night at 2:00 CET (not sure how late that is in your timezone).

About the other settings, if you have a MDL file for me to debug that would be very useful. I tried to test it yesterday by making a test MDL with similar settings and that seemed to work, but I would be happy to test again with your object.
  11. hcornea

australia
    The detail map is most definitely fixed.

I have PM'ed a link to some files to test.

This material is unusual clearly, as it fails to convert properly in two Models.