• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Detect sceneries created for FS9

Country
france
Hello,

I think a lot of people would like to know if a scenery as any chance to be compatible with P3D V4, before testing and crashing it ;)

An acknowledged minimum condition is that the scenery must have been compiled for FSX (or latter).

With all the tools you, "the experts", have created, I am convinced that you should be able offer to the community of the "casualy users" such utility.

Thanks to take a look :)

Anyway, Happy New Year to all

Gérard

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Not sure what you are asking for.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hi,
I think what Gérard want a tool which can detect among a lot of scenery the FS9 ones and the others (FSX or P3D).
For this purpose I use an hexa editor to read the first lines of a bgl. In effect this kind of information is write here.

Country
france
Thanks Lagaffe for translating "correctly" what I was dreaming about....

Could you tell me how to recognize a FS9 bgl (offset, pattern ?)

Thanks
Gérard

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hi,

If I launch HxD.Exe which is a hexa editor freeware.
a) if I open a FS2004 MDL with it, I can see on the first line in the second colon: RIFF¾...MDL8MDLH
b) with a FSX MDL : RIFF.ô/.MDLXMDLH
c) and for a P3D v4 MDL: RIFFUþP.PV20MDLH

So you can see that this information is modified in function of MDL used.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Notepad does this same test, simply configure to open ".bgl."

Country
france
For aircrafts, it is quite easy to verify the model : Lorby's Thumbnailexporter give you directly the information.

But for .bgl (where sometimes there is a mdl included inside), I don't see this information in the binaries :(

Gérard

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
ADE and MCX will know the difference

Country
brazil
Let me intrude in your thread, i have one question that i think doesn't deserve a unic thread: Are FSX bgl's compatible with P3Dv4? I know nothing about this version.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, FSX bgl files work in P3D v4 as well. But not all pre-FSX that FSX can read work in P3D v4.

When loading the bgl in MCX the event log can be used to see what kind of bgl it is.

Country
brazil
Yes, FSX bgl files work in P3D v4 as well. But not all pre-FSX that FSX can read work in P3D v4.

When loading the bgl in MCX the event log can be used to see what kind of bgl it is.

Thank you, arno! I asked because i develop for FSX, but i don't have P3D to test my sceneries in. Now i know it works.

Country
france

It took me some time to realize that the very first message of MCX gives (implicitly...) the kind of bgl !

BGLXReader or BGL9Reader - am I right ?

Thanks

Gérard

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Not really. BGLX is for xml based bgl. So that's FS2004 and above. BGL9 is for the older bgl files where the scenery is in section 9.

If you have BGLX and the MDLX reader is used for the mdl objects you know it's FSX.

Country
france
Thanks for the clarification.

The "decision making" algorithm of MCX to select the right reader (BGL* and MDL*) is exactly what I was dreaming to get as the small console utility listing these two properties for any .bgl file....

Gérard

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Maybe I can isolate the logic in a small tool.

Country
france
Hello Arno,

Did you got some free time to take a look at this "small tool" ?

Thanks in advance

Gérard

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gerard,

No, time is always quite limited (more ideas for my tools than time), so I have been busy with other things recently.

Country
france
Maybe I can isolate the logic in a small tool.

Hi Arno,

I dare to come back to you, but I recently identify that "freezes" in a well known scenery developper package were caused by old forgotten FS9 models inside BGL supposed to be "Prepar3D V4" compatible.
You know "Murphy's law": I am convinced that this happens in more BGL files, but we lack a batch utility able to identify the old non converted models (too many files to look each...).

Any chance you
bring us this "small tool" ?

Regards - Gérard