1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Detecting Add-on Airports or Terrain changes

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Slopey, 1/6/08.

1. Slopey

Slopey

Hi All,

I have an add on program which positions an aircraft at a user selected airport/gate/runway - I've populated the initial database from the Flight Sim BGL files (for both FS2k4 and FSX).

My problem is that if a user modifies an airport or loads a "custom" one, or a terrain map, the initial gates/altitudes are now (usually) wrong.

Where can I look to update this information? Is it possible to get the details for just one airport? Or under FS2k4/FSX are add on scenery bgls stored in a particular location I can parse without having to rescan all the BGLs in FS subdirectories?

I don't really know anything about where addon scenery files are placed, so any help would be appriciated!

Cheers,
    Slopey
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

No, addon scenery is not stored in a specific folder. The end user can install it anywhere he wants. But the scenery.cfg file lists all the installed addons with their paths. So if you parse that file and process the folders listed there you should be able to scan all loaded addon BGL files as well.
  3. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    Outside of detecting changes in scenery, you probably have to rescan all BGLs for airport data if the checksum on scenery.cfg doesn't match a pre-stored value or if the user just wants to refresh the database. A manual refresh may not be a bad thing at all, and is a feature of most add-on map programs precisely for this reason.

Etienne