• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA different GUID formats

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Arno, one thing I'm desperately missing in LCxml is to get the GUID for xml placement files. You know in those xml files the GUID has a different format, and it's imposible to transpose between those formats, at least for me... :eek:
Would it be possible to add that other as well, or maybe even let LCxml create a template placement xml that already includes placements for all objects in the list?
Of course making the tool not only a library but also a placement tool would be very nice as well: store placements in a seperate xml and compile both, library and placement bgl in one step. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Thorsten,

I am not sure if I understand. There is no different GUID format for placement. For FS2004 you use one format and for FSX the other. But the format in the library and placement is the same. So I don't really understand the request.

ModelConverterX already has the convert logic (you can choose in which format it is displayed in the user interface). And it is on my todo list to add a GUID Converter to the tool to easily convert between the two.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Probably something I've been missing, but OPT as well as bglcomp works with this kind of GUID:

HTML:
F18519FFE50001F15258010201BA630E
In the x file that GUID is

HTML:
f18519ff-01f1-e500-0201-58520e63ba01

So how do I convert from one to the other?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Thorsten,

BGLComp can also work fine with the FSX format with the dashes and curly-brackets. For FSX that is the preferred way even, since then you don't have to convert any GUID.

For now the easiest way to convert them would be to load your FSX MDL in ModelConverterX. In the options set your preferred FS version to FS2004. Then the object information form should show the GUID in FS2004 format.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
So I did miss something. :bang head:
I had tried that a long time ago and for some reason bglcomp wouldn't want to compile the file, so I figured it can't handle those GUIDs.

Good thing I asked you, will save me a lot of time in the future. :teacher: thanks a lot!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The fsx bglcomp can, the fs2004 version not of course. But foutre fsx mdl files you need that version anyway.

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos