1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

disappearing object

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by koen3950, 31/1/05.

1. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    hello guys,

i allready searched the forums but couldnt come up with a sollution, so:

i made a simple gmax object (1 static box and 1 animated box, wich rotates as if it was a door)
    it is shown correctly in the sim (the animation too) except for when i look at it from above (view tilted down, angles higher than about 80°)
    it happens with both the _cat and the original MDL.
    In SLEWmode however, the object is always shown
    i don't know anything about QSM files, but i tried to change this:
    bounding_box_riff_start label word
    db 'B','B','O','X'
    dd bounding_box_riff_end - $ - 4
    real4 -2.479, -0.016, -7.012
    real4 12.521, 9.984, 0.000
    bounding_box_riff_end label word
    i tried higher (20) and lower (1) numbers in the 2 real4 lines..
    nothing changes, the object disappears everytime i look onto it from above

when im high in the air, i see it too, except again when i turn the view down more

any ideas???

ps: i use scenegenX to place my mdl

Koen
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Koen,

If making the bounding box bigger does not help, then I guess it must be something else.

Does it only happen when you tilt the view or also when you tilt the entire aircraft in slew mode (till you have the same position as when you tilted the view).
  3. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    hi

i included some images and the gmax file

i just found out that in slewmode, the object disappears sometimes too, but at other angles then in flight ...

very weird!

this are my gmax settings:
    units setup: metric/meters
    system unit scale: 1 unit = 1,0 meters
    in my system settings in windows, decimal is set to comma

this is how it looks in slewmode, all normal
    [​IMG]

this is inflight, looking down
    [​IMG]

this is inflight, looking more level
    [​IMG]

this is the zipfile with the gmax source
    aniTest.zip
  4. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    Hi Koen.

I used your gmax file and could not get it to happen.

What you might try is to zip a BGL and a FLT file ( flight file ). Use a standard aircraft. We can then add the BGL to a scenery folder and use the FLT file to actually continue the flight. Try to take the FLT file just before the disappearance, so we can experience flying over it... hopefully, we'll see what you saw... or didn't see.

Dick
  5. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    hello Dick,

I will do that tonight, have to go to school in 3 mins :)

do you think my gmax settings are correct? I remembered reading somewhere (dont remember where) that it should be metres, and not meters but i dont know how that could be as there is no metres option in my gmax (1.2)

thanks
    Koen
  6. arno

netherlands
    Hi Koen,

Yes, that all sounds correct. It should be meters and not feet or inches. So that should not give you a problem.
  7. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    good,

here is the bgl i created in SGX, and a flight wich places you very close to the object, turn the view a bit more up (looking down i mean ;-) ) and you should see the object disappear

thanks

koen

disapptest.zip
  8. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    Hi Koen.

I wish I could help. My computer shows the object just fine. The view angle makes no difference for me. Hopefully, someone else will try this and see if they can repeat the problem.

Dick
  9. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    well thanks anyway dick, i now know that it is a problem with my flightsim config and that there is nothing wrong with the scenery, so i can continue building ;-)

Koen
  10. JeffS

JeffS

australia
    Koen, glad you found the solution.

I had the same issue with an object i was making and found that because i had several components with differing XYZ C0-Ords whilst in the test phase, it would vanish from certain view angles, once i either made a common Ref point or attached the various parts, the object became stable !

rgds Jeff
  11. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    hi jeff,

thanks for your answer, i am not sure what you mean with this:

"i either made a common Ref point or attached the various parts"

can you please explain it in more detail (how you do it?)

thanks

Koen
  12. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    ok, i found out what went wrong:

the excludes i included ( :eek: ) in scenegenx where excluding my object from certain angles.
    Removing the excludes made everything work ok.
    Now the new issue is that i don't know how to exclude the default airport buildings. Another bgl with scengenx excludes in a lower layer does not work.
    Excbuilder exclude files in a lower layer does not work either. (these two give the same results as excludes in the same layer or the same bgl)
    should i try and install ground2k4 and make some LWM excludes, or do they work the same? (i have no time now thats the reason i'm asking)

thanks

Koen
  13. arno

netherlands
    Mesh excludes will not remove the airport, so you would have to use XML excludes.

I have never seen that they have this influence. Maybe you could try to make smaller excludes? Only around the objects you want to remove.
  14. pixxel

pixxel

yugoslavia
    I've found something else at turbosquid forums concerning similar problems, take a look at it at:

http://www.turbosquid.com/MessageBoard/index.cfm/FuseAction/ShowThread/TID/12384

It seems that weather settings sometimes have something to do with dissapearing objects. Gentleman who wrote this article says that he had problems only when weather was set at clear weather. As soon as he set his weather to Fair weather (few clouds), object re-appeared and "refused" :rotfl: to dissapear again.So try this, also, maybe it helps.
  15. Zoonba

Zoonba

unitedkingdom
    "If making the bounding box bigger does not help, then I guess it must be something else."

Arno, how does one go about making the bounding box bigger, as I'm having this issue at the moment?

Cheers
  16. arno

netherlands
    In the source code (ASM files), you will find a section called BBOX and there the size of your bounding box is defined. But as Koen found out, it is was the reason of this trouble (in general GMax calculates the size correctly).
  17. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    hi

the bounding box was not the reason for my problems, the big excludes with who i excluded the default scenery where the problem
    now i just excluded every building seperatly with a small exclude and now it works fine!

koen
  18. stevo

stevo

unitedkingdom
    Hi,

I had a similar problem with a stadium I built, http://www.fs9world.co.uk/images/boro3.jpg

I textured everything exept the steel work that holds up the roof ( I left it the gmax colour. no material or texture) and in FS9, using certain views, only the steel work vanished.

Once I gave it a Gmax material, using the material editor, it worked ok.

I've also had other objects disappear when I've tested them in FS9 with only the gmax colour. (no material or texture applied) but when I've applied a material or texture, it fixes it.

Stevo
  19. koen3950

koen3950

belgium
    that was the sollution!!!!

thanks a lot :)