1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drawcall minimizer

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by arno, 6/3/10.

1. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi all,

Just to let you know that the development release of today (available in a few hours), has a new function. The drawcall minimizer. You can access this function with the button in the toolbar (next to the mass texture editor).

After you press the start button the functionality will try to remove duplicate textures (same texture, different name, this happens in KMZ files now and then) and also it will try to put as many textures into one big sheet. This should help improve your performance.

During adding this functionality I had to make some changes to how the textures are processed. This should make it a bit quicker, but it could be that I have broken something by accident in this development release. If you find issues, please let me know.

Enjoy this new function,
  2. gary20

gary20

canada
    I love this feature Arno

Need to play with it some more, but it appears to remove night time textures when minimizing.
    Will experiment some more and let you know

Gary
  3. robystar

robystar

Oh dear, oh dear,

I, inadvertently, let the draw call minimizer monster loose on my static object library textures and there are a whole bunch of textures in there that I had not yet placed in a seperate library texture folder. And now I end up with a whole zoo of texture sheets with funny names and I haven't the faintest to what object they belong as they have names like "Object217CompleteMap.dds" , "sps48smt_Default_LODCompleteMap.dds" etc.
    My mistake of course, but is there an "undo" knob somewhere?
    Afraid not, but users be warned!

Are the original textures still there?
    Update: yes they are but I do not get it. How does this draw call minimizer work?
    Last edited: 11/3/10
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi Gary,

Other textures then the diffuse texture is something I am still working on. I forgot to mention that before. So for the moment that information is lost, but I want to add it soon.
  5. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

There is no undo button, but as long as you do not export the objects again no changes are made to your MDL files on your harddisk. So just loading the object again will undo it.

When the drawcall minimizer combines textures for an object it uses the object name as the base of the new texture, followed by a number. Since the textures you mention have no number I am not sure what is going on there.