1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 EDAH - Heringsdorf Regional Airport

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Captain7, 2/12/12.

1. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    EDAH - Heringsdorf Regional Airport (released on 06-30-13)

Hi,

this is my scenery design training project: EDAH Heringsdorf.
    The Airport is located in the north east of Germany on the island of Usedom.
    See Google Maps: http://maps.google.de/?ll=53.87004,14.155197&spn=0.079757,0.188313&t=h&z=13

I've been playing around with MS Flightsim since FS 2002. Mainly focused on flying PMDG's products and a little bit aircraft livery painting.
    Last august I came across Google Sketchup, this community and all the cool applications by Arno which made me want to try scenery design.

Right now I'm concentrating on developing my modeling and texturing methods.
    But there are many tasks on my list to learn:
    - how to add all the lightning effects
    - how to animate scenery (a couple of moving cars in the airport area are a must-have)
    - how to use ADE (in depth) I was only able to make a some flatten and exclude triangles by now.
    - how to adjust landclass
    ..... :rolleyes:

Some images of the current state:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers Volker
    Last edited: 30/6/13
  2. Kai503

Kai503

finland
    Sieht doch schon super aus!

Really nice work! I haven't flown to Heringsdorf yet, only to Peenemünde a couple of times. But it would be interesting cause of the warbird-collection.
  3. Heretic

Heretic

germany
    Nice!

Someday I'll do a proper pre-1990 rendition of EDAH. It saw quite a lot of diverse military traffic back in the day.
  4. PCFlightsimnews

PCFlightsimnews

netherlands
    Great work there Volker!
  5. Air Holland

Air Holland

netherlands
    Looks great
  6. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    Thank you all :-]
  7. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    Hi!

New development screens of my scenery project. Modeling and Texturing is a time intensive task....but I made some steps forward. Buildings will ready soon, next on my list: runway signs, lights, antennas, finishing of the taxiway markings.....etc.

T-24h from now until 2013. Happy New Year Party tommorow!
    Cheers Volker

Attached Files:

8. Air Holland

Air Holland

netherlands
    Woow looks amazing
  9. Shaun

Shaun

unitedkingdom
    Hey Captain7. Looks great! how long have you been designing scenery for?

Are you using DXT5 textures on the fence with an alpha? From my experience this gives a white "edge" to the textures, and when zoomed out, especially at night, makes the fence look lit up. I changed mine to DXT3, which solved this.
  10. scottb613

scottb613

unitedstates
    Hi Volker,

Man - that's some seriously fine model work... Looks better than my project - also FS9... I've put down photo scenery with SBuilder - but - it doesn't come out with resolution even close to what you have - I guess I need ground polys for that... Looks real good... How did you make the ground polys - are they just big planes - or - is each - runway - taxiway - etc modeled - as it's own object ?

Regards,
    Scott
  11. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    Hi Shaun,
    Thx! It's my first scenery. But I'm very experienced with photoshop which helps a lot ;)

Yes the fence is an alpha texture. In the screenshots above is was a DXT3 bmp. And I changed them to DXT1 now and it looks better now!

Hi Scott,
    Thx! The underlaying photopoly does also contain taxiways and the runway, but without any details like markings etc. It contains just the base colors and rough ground structure.
    Above that layer I added a couple of semitransparent textures layers (each as individual 3D objects) which contain the asphalt structure, dirt marks, runway markings or the tire rubber. These have a much higher resolution than the groundimage and give the crisp details. Most of them are used as infinite/continously textures (don't know the correct word?!).

Cheers Volker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    Since I havn't read the tutorials about adding light effects to objects yet, I tried to model taxiway lights without effects, just textures. Looks not bad I think, even from higher above you can see the bright pixels. Maybe I'll leave it like this? What do you think?

[​IMG]

Cheers Volker
    Last edited: 7/1/13
  13. Shaun

Shaun

unitedkingdom
    It looks good for taxi lights. For runway lights you'd have to use effects or SCASM lights though because they wont be very visible.
  14. Rafal

Rafal

poland
    Volker,

This scenery looks awesome!
    Taking into consideration it is you first ever, you seem very talented.
    Additionally thanks for supporting our beloved FS9.
    I hope it won't be you last work.

I wish you all the best in 2013 and can't wait to fly to Heringsdorf.

Take care,
    Rafal
  15. Shaun

Shaun

unitedkingdom
    Your ground polygons look very good. May I ask what you used to make them and what layers you have?

Is there a noise layer from the photoscenery on the top?

I'm struggling with my ground polys....:(
  16. flyhalf

flyhalf

australia
    Those lights look very nice.

I also am a firm believer in using smart texturing as much as possible. These fancy light beam splash effect things you see around rarely end up looking that good.

=
  17. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    Thank you Rafal and flyhalf for feedback!

@Shaun: Most of the groundtextures are composed of (free) textures from this source http://www.cgtextures.com/index.php and as you assumed there is a "noise" layer on top of the grass areas of the groundpoly. If you like to you can use the file attached.

Ciao Volker

Attached Files:

Last edited: 10/1/13
  18. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    ...first attemps with night lightning of ground & buildings.

[​IMG]

...and one of the many near-derelicted hangars on the airport area (which makes this airport really interesting)

[​IMG]

Cheers Volker
  19. pfabian

pfabian

slovakia
    Wow, Volker, if this is a first, training project, I can hardly imagine what a proper project from you would look like!
  20. Captain7

Captain7

germany
    ...added some airport antenna buildings, added one more of the old hangars and polished of many existing parts of the model.
    I'm really astonished that there is only a low framerate drop compared to the default airport. It's about 69 vs. 76 FPS in top down view on the airport area with my 3 year old system (Acer Aspire, i7 2,8, ATI 5850). Considering that I planted many many trees to get the real look, there's much room for more polys :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers Volker