• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

empty models list and multiple program start

Country
austria
empty models list:

When I open an airport again, 90% of the time I see an empty models list and black squares only. But sometimes not (10%), no idea why - good to have the models list exported as html. ^^

I copy and paste all 40 or more names of the models back into the list, doubleclick all 100 or more models in the scenery objects list to be shown again correctly on the display and not as black squares anymore. After this huge work I finally can start to edit the airport - if I would edit one airport per month only I would not write this post.
But: the more models I add, the often crashes ADE during compiling - I never was able to send the log, dunno why:

Compile-Error.jpg

That means: if ADE crashes or I close it, I have to do the complete procedure above again and again every time (sorry, 90% of the time) I want to edit an airport just a bit. I did a lot with ADE, sometimes every day, but meanwhile this problem became so annoying, that I indeed edit one airport per month, not more.

I found some hints to create a library from my models to avoid such troubles, but the library object manager accepts *.bgl files only. Even the crash would not be a problem (because the compiling still works correctly and no data gets lost), if I would not have to start the complete procedure above again. I also hoped the Pro-Key would solve this, but - no.

Isn't there a possibility to import the models list back to ADE ? This wouldn't be a complete solution, but a start.
ADE is the main reason why I still play FSX but meanwhile I think about to uninstall FSX forever, it became too frustrating.

multiple program start:

A great thing would be to start ADE more than one time. It would help a lot to copy or compare things from other airports.

help is highly appreciated ^^,
greetz,
Dag@bert

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am sorry but I am not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that ADE is losing your list of models, or that it can't find them when you compile? Opening more than one copy at a time is something we have looked at. There are some complications with the databases that ADE uses and user locking, It is not just run another copy.

Country
austria
Hi, and thanks for the answer !

Opening ADE and an airport the models list is (mostly) empty and if I try to compile, ADE tells me there are black squares and asks me (1x) if I want to compile nevertheless. So I have to add all models again (in the list, not on the display), have to activate/doubleclick/whatever all models in the scenery objects list to be able to compile now with all models. This procedure I have to do mostly every time if I do just small changes to an airport, grmbl. Does that mean that ADE loses the list ? I don't know, the models are shown correctly with guid and thumb, but not in the list anymore. ADE loses the path I guess, dunno. All my models are in this folder: ADE/FSX/Models.

Btw, you're the chef of ADE, want to say thanks for this amazing tool, it's simply great, you did a wonderful job here !

greetz,
Dag@bert

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for the kind words. I must admit that I have not heard of ADE losing the model list. However I need to check that you are loading and saving your work as an ADE project file and not from a bgl file. If you do use the bgl file then the list of models is not saved.

Country
austria
Yes, I know, I was talking from my own airports, they are all saved as project files. I'll try to reduce the amount of models and hope with the next ADE update comes a possibility to import the models list back.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well something is wrong and we will not be making any changes unless we can confirm a bug. I am not aware of this being reported before. Perhaps you can attach one of your project files to a post here that shows the problem

Country
austria
Voila, I zipped all together, I hope it's complete, you can download it here: http://85.214.99.117/dag_bert/Temp/Project_Test.zip
It's an unfinished project which makes ADE always crash if I want to compile.
And please no misunderstandings: ADE normally works perfect, it's just a problem, the more models I include.
ReadMe is included.

And: no hurry please. ^^

greetz,
Dag@bert

GHD

Country
england
I couldn't compile with the models so created a libraruy containing them. It then compiled

There was one unknown object:

Unknown 44af38f3-4d8a-fd18-e5d2-caa5eac64cdb

You also need a flatten.

Last edited:
Country
austria
In my attached file there are images, and one is the background image for ADE, it's here: Project_Test\Flight Simulator X\Airport Design Editor\FSX\Images\DG02_Top.jpg
Watch it and you'll see there's a flatten. Why you don't have one even if you use my original file 'DG02_Hochschwab.ad4' I can't tell you.
And the unknown object you mention is part of the library 'GA Hangars' which I added as well, you can find it here: Project_Test\Flight Simulator X\Airport Design Editor\FSX\ga_hangars_ss_vol_2_v1.bgl

I guess you just want to confuse me totally. ^^

Meanwhile I started to convert my models to bgl and tried to make libraries, let's see if this method will work better on my PC.
I never wanted to do a library of my models, because it's just sick to share an airport with 70kB which needs a library with 2GB ..... xD