1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

enviroment sounds in cockpit how to customize?

Discussion in 'Sound' started by argos_72, 9/9/08.

1. argos_72

argos_72

france
    Hello
    I have several issues with the coockpit enviromental sounds of my A3xx PIC series of Wilco. Wilco support told me that everything is ok, but some sounds are executed in the environment (eg: engines, APU , ) and other no (like the "button switch" or some alarms like "altitude alert").
    Do you know a way to customize sounds event and where these event are set inside FSX?
    thx
  2. Simon853

Simon853

If they have implemented custom sounds that are not supported in FS by default, (like button switch sounds), then they will likely have done it using DirectSound or XAudio in a C gauge. Unless they have provided user tweakable settings, as in an extra config file that is read by the gauge, then you will not be able to change the behaviour.

What you could do though is to find the sound files themselves and change the sounds in a sound editor. Beware though as the sample rates, inbuild loops, etc. could be screwed up by your editing.

Si
  3. argos_72

argos_72

france
    Hi, and many thanks for your answers. In effect the way Wilco created the sounds is the following: In the SimObject/Airplane/feelThere PIC A320/sound directory there is the sound directory with the sound.cfg file, that follows the rule indicated here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526952.aspx. So for this I think they used MSDN ESP. All these sounds are related engines and are Ok, well played, the setup of sound.cfg is Ok.

The sounds that are not played (not all, only some of them) are the ones located in directory inside the FSX root called FeelThere\Airbus\Sounds. All these sounds *.wav are neither called nor mentioned in any *.cfg or other config files of FSX ( I have done full search, founding anything.... what is the event that trigger this sounds?).
    I think the issue can also been related to http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html FSUIPC4 because when I installed it, some sounds in the coockpit disappeared (like the "button click"). I think it should be some configuration file or some variables that has been put to the wrong value and that I do not arrive to restore, at least to restore the original situation. Then when I am sure the sounds are played correctly the next step will be to modify them!

In any case many thanks in advance for your help.
  4. Simon853

Simon853

It sounds like they are loading those wav files from within the C gauges, so if all the requirements are predescribed within the code then they will not need to be configured with an FS config file.

What they've done is create an additional layer of sounds above and beyond those provided by FS itself and written their own code to trigger them.

There are payware sound gauges that developers can use like ddsound.gau that do accept a config file. But if they have written DirectSound interface code themselves then there's no need for them to use an external config file.

I don't know why FSUIPC would have any bearing on that though. I write all my additional sound layers like I have described, coding it all within a gauge, and also place all my extra sounds in the sim's main sound directory. So I don't use a config file either, and FSUIPC is not required for it to function. FSUIPC is only capable of addressing simulation variables and events that FS natively supports.

The upshot is that for sounds that exist outside of those specified in the sim's sound.cfg file, there are no bespoke sim triggers to play them. They are called directly by the gauge file dependent upon custom logic that the developer has created.

I would suggest that if your aircraft is no longer operating as it should in this regard, you should probably seek technical help from the authors, as they're the only ones who know exactly how they have constructed it.

Regards,

Si
  5. argos_72

argos_72

france
    Yes in effect this seems the case, and naturally I do not have access to the way they used to trigger this code. I asked in effect support to developers, they told me that the code triggering this sound is part of DirectSound Direct X included. I have naturally the last DirectX version on my WindowsXP (9.0c) all updated done, and if is issue between the directSound management by my sound card at this point I am lost...
    Anyway
    I really thank you for time you spent following this strange behaviour (not the first one because looking in other forums seems the issue similar to other users)
    http://www.iemit.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9334

rgds