1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESP SDK licensing vs... FSX SDK Licensing

Discussion in 'ESP' started by fgaiddon, 18/5/09.

1. fgaiddon

fgaiddon

france
    Hello,

I've read a lot of things about ESP SDK licensing (and MS Volume Licensing), but I am not totally sure of what's possible with it.

I would like to use the resample tool in a production environment. The FSX SDK EULA forbids this kind of use. Is it possible to use this tool with the ESP SDK and its licensing model ?

If the answer is yes (I hope :)), it stands for FSX. Is there any way to do the same with the FS9 resample tool ?

Regards,

Fabien
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Interesting question, can you maybe explain a bit more. I think as long as you use the SDK tools to create an addon for the platform they belong to it should not be a problem. Are you saying you want to use resample for non-FS purposes?
  3. fgaiddon

fgaiddon

france
    Hi Arno,

As a matter of fact, I would like to create an "on-demand" terrain download service for FS.
    This requires the resample tool to be used JIT on a production server to produce some terrain sceneries for FSX.

The FSX SDK EULA mentions "Testing does not include staging on a server in a production environment". That's why I am asking on ESP SDK licensing model.

fabien
  4. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Please note that the ESP SDK will continue to be available to US and Canadian residents only for a very limited time, according to my MS sources.

The $99 ESP SDK should provide you with the coverage you seek for use of the resample tool, and is fully compatible with FSX scenery, since ESP1 is identical to FSX SP2... :D

Last edited: 18/5/09
  5. mendiola_loyola

mendiola_loyola Resource contributor

peru
    One question, will Ms ESP be available to purchase until this year?

I don't understand the topic about licenses, are you talking about the SDK license or the ESP license?

Will MS ESP not be sold after 2009?

Thanks.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    Lima PerĂº
  6. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    The current information is that it will be until the end of the year yes.

This topic is about the SDK license, as that is the only part needed here.

I think nobody here knows. Since the ACES team is no longer there, so it will not be developed anymore. I don't know how many people are still using it, but I don't think it is a big group. So I would not be surprised if at a certain moment MS stopped selling it.
  7. mendiola_loyola

mendiola_loyola Resource contributor

peru
    Thank you Arno, the current Ms CEO took a wrong decision to close a project with future.

They should sell that product to other company, i think Ms ESP is very powerfull product with high quality.

Bad CEOs, bad decisions, waste of money on good past investments.

Thanks.
    Last edited: 27/5/09
  8. Sundog

Sundog

us-indiana
    Hi guys,

I've been looking to purchase a single license of the ESP SDK, but all I find requires a minimum of 5 seats. Where can you purchase a single seat?

Thanks!
  9. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
  10. Sundog

Sundog

us-indiana
    Thanks Bill! :)

I installed Silverlight and now everything is working.
    Last edited: 2/6/09
  11. Sundog

Sundog

us-indiana
    FYI, the ESP SDK is no longer available as a single seat license. I ordered it June 1st and spent all of today trying to figure out where the order is by trading e-mails with MS and they finally informed me it is no longer available.
    :mad:
  12. beatle

beatle

us-virginia
    Hey Sundog,

If you still have a copy of the emails you traded concerning the single seat license you bought, could you forward those to me at:

timgreg at microsoft dot com

The single seat license is supposed to be available through February, 2010; so if someone told you it isn't available anymore, my boss needs to go set them straight (or at least find out why it changed) :-> The volume purchase option is supposed to be available at least through end of Dec, 2009.

Also, were you looking for a seat license for an actual installation, or just a development station? If all you want is a development license, with no actual product installation, you could also get the MSDN Operating Systems subscription at $699, which includes download access to the ESP 1.0 ISOs (3 for the program - DVD sized, 1 for the SDK - CDROM sized).
  13. Sundog

Sundog

us-indiana
    I'm in the middle of moving right now, so I'm not online much and my line is going going to be moved this week, but if I can track down the e-mails tomorrow morning I'll forward them to you. BTW, I didn't order ESP, just the SDK.