1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EXE.XML Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by glynnw, 21/6/07.

1. glynnw

glynnw

unitedkingdom
    I am in the process of writing an installer for a freeware FSX addon I've developed and was wondering how others have managed the EXE.XML startup file.
    At present, I've written the installer to create a new EXE.XML if it doesn't already exist ( it doesn't by default ?) or backup and modify the existing file to add the tags I need to start the addon.
    The problem I have is what to do when the user uninstalls the addon. It's easy enough to delete the current EXE.XML and restore the backup but what if the user had installed other addons and modified the EXE.XML in the meantime? The restored backup would then be an old version and the user would be left wondering why their other addons suddenly stopped working.

I'm trying to make the install/uninstall process as simple and as automated as possible for the user but I can't see how to make the uninstall 100% foolproof without asking them to modify the file manually.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this?
  2. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Why not just remove your lines? You would not need to create a backup in the first place.

George
  3. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    As above, I'd parse the file and remove the block that pertains to me.

Etienne
  4. glynnw

glynnw

unitedkingdom
    Yes, you're both right.

I was being lazy in trying to manipulate the file as text.

Parsing the file as xml, it was easy to search for the node relating to my addon and then remove the parent node.

Thanks for your help
  5. jcboliveira

jcboliveira

portugal
    See my post that has a exe.xml manipulator.

José