1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX Export a Model from 3DS max to .MDL

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by Mat_arg, 15/10/11.

1. Mat_arg

Mat_arg

argentina
    Hi,

As the title says, i want to make a model on 3DS max(2012) for FSX....i was reading about how export, but i can do it.

I export the model as .X file then, i drop this (.X) into the XtoMDL.exe, and the problem began, this XtoMDL generates me a 0Kb file...if anyone of you can help me and give me, the right steps to do it well. i'm stuck

Thanks
    Matias,
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Which errors do you get from XtoMDL? Compile from the command prompt and you will see the output. That should tell you what is going wrong.
  3. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    That's problem number one; you can't do that!

XtoMDL.exe is a command line driven program and you simply MUST supply the required compiler flags to get it to work properly.

Read this Wiki article for details: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=XtoMDL
  4. Aviasim

Aviasim

unitedkingdom
    You can run the .X file through the FS2002 MakeMDL. That is the method I use, works flawless AFAIK for my projects.
  5. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Indeed for simple scenery objects with no flags required, you can simply parse the filename by "dragging and dropping"

Even worse (Bill will cringe) as a scenery designer, I have x-files set to open with xtomdl.exe on double clicking!!

If you have animations or LODs (eg in an aircraft) this will not suffice.

A few things spring to mind:

1) Are you using the prepar3D SDK to make your X-file
    2) where is XtoMdl located (and which version are you using)

From memory, I'm using the Prepar3D SDK to make the x-file, but parsing it through the FSX SDK (3DSM9, but set to run as administrator due to the digital signing issue). Not sure if I've tried the other ...
    Last edited: 15/10/11
  6. mmann

mmann

ca-britishcolumbia
    I really can't go along with the can't and MUST. If this was the Aircraft Design instead of the Scenery Design forum then you would be correct. The only time I don't drag and drop is if I need LOD's or animations (which for me isn't that often).
  7. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    I only noticed the "GMAX and 3DS Max" when I read this, and failed to note the preceding "Scenery Design - 3D Objects" part of the forum name.

Sorry 'bout that. If one has no need for the /XMLSAMPLE file at all, then drag-and-drop will of course work.

I'll try to be more observant next time (assuming there is one at all).

On rereading the OP though, I note this:
    in which case the tip in the Wiki may well be the solution:
    Last edited: 16/10/11
  8. Mat_arg

Mat_arg

argentina
    Thanks guys for your help,

I'm gonna download the prepar3D SDK, and take in count the tip in Wiki about use the DOT.

Matias,