1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FDSConnection Source?

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Ali Cat, 4/12/10.

1. Ali Cat

Ali Cat

us-southcarolina
    Does anyone know where I can find the source code for the last version of FDSConnection? I found ver. 1.1 buried within the downloads of GlassFlightDeck at the following:

http://glassflightdeck.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/glassflightdeck/FDSConnection/

I think ver. 1.4 is the latest. Why am I interested in this? At this point I can’t really say other than, as I have launched on an effort to understand CFS2 on a more technical level, I want to know what can be done. Also, I guess part of it is that I was thrilled when I discovered that I might could contribute via the dll module route with some C code – "Gods language" and all that. Even if its all been done (FSUIPC, FDSConnection, and that other one?) I still plan on looking further into how these reads and sometimes writes are done.

I have noticed the thread here "How to Make dll’s" and am fiddling with the code Rhumbaflappy posted. Also, I have been studying the FS2002 panels and gauges SDK. If there is other information the guru’s here think I might should look at, that too would be greatly appreciated.

And while I have your ear, much thanks to both Arno and Rhumbaflappy. On my many Googles of this dll module thingy, it often happened that one or both of you provided the help/answers. Your valued contributions to the FS world precedes this posting.

On a lighter note, Rhumba, maybe I should be working on land-water masking – huh? And don’t be impressed as I had never heard of them a month ago.

Sam
    aka: "Ali Cat"
  2. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    Hi SAm.

Here's what I have:

FDSConnection_1_3.zip

It's 1.3

I have compiled versions for CFS2, FS2002 and FS2004... and source ( I think ).

I do recommend using FSUIPC.

A while back there was some concern as Peter Dowson decided to charge for FSUIPC... but that was only for full access to the module, and freeware developers are allowed to use the module when registering with Peter, so their endusers can use it for free. There was no need for any alarm. ( But I also liked the idea of tinkering with the FDSConnection code ).

Also, for CFS2 you could include a prior freeware module in a distribution, I believe. Peter would know best about that! Maybe he'll chime in here. Or maybe you'd need to contact him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What CFS2 really needs is someone to make a program to create VTP1 lines and polys for CFS2. Ground2Kv4 did allow them, but that program is a bit finicky to use, and the resulting code is a bit odd. We can translate FS2004 land-water masking from source code, but the lines and polys cannot.

Ideally, I think converting KML code to compilable ASM would be the route to take. Or SBuilderX SBX code converted to an ASM might be better.

Dick
  3. Ali Cat

Ali Cat

us-southcarolina
    Dick,

I just downloaded your zip file attachment and it looks like there’s some really good stuff in it.

I have FSUIPC ver. 2.975 per a posting of yours (SOH?). I’ve studied the documents somewhat but have yet to put it through any paces.

As far a your comments after the plus sign line this is an area of the game I know very little about, but, as you have gotten me intrigued, I will certainly get more educated.

As I alluded to above, I have no idea were any of this is going but I sure am having fun.

Again – thanks.
    Sam