• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Finland sceneries

Country
sweden
Thanks. The lights first. The answer is yes. Finland_base_pack_update_1_1.zip includes the lights (named "katuvalot"). Install just the Finland_library.bgl and the textures and leave all the "katuvalot" bgl's out.
You can also remove streetlights from Rovaniemi by removing Rovaniemi_lights_XXX.bgl files.

I updated to FTX_Global a year ago and it broke FinlandX. That's one of the reasons that I decided to do this a bit differently. Also the source data is much more accurate now. This should work however.
1. Leave FinlandX below all the new sceneries in scenery library.
2. Remove mesh_XXXX.bgl files, Finland_regions.bgl and FinnWaterClassXDither.bgl from FinlandX Scenery folder.
3. Install Finland_base_pack above FinlandX updated but without katuvalot bgls in your case.
Then Lapland
Then Obstdata
Then lighthouses
Then Rovaniemi
etc.

It should work this way. :)
Thank you again for the help, however, in the readme supplied with Base Pack it only says to remove "mesh_XXXX bgl's, Finn_Seasoning.bgl and FinnWaterClassXDither.bgl". Should Finland_regions.bgl also be removed as you wrote here?

T. Andreas

Country
finland
Thank you again for the help, however, in the readme supplied with Base Pack it only says to remove "mesh_XXXX bgl's, Finn_Seasoning.bgl and FinnWaterClassXDither.bgl". Should Finland_regions.bgl also be removed as you wrote here?

I actually mixed up those seasoning and regions files. Leave the regions in it's place, although I don't think it matters a lot.

Hey.Is it compatybile with FTX Glboal Vector and OPEN LC?

Yes.

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hyvää uutta vuotta! Happy new year!

2017 will be my "Fly over Finland" sim year! Almost 20 years ago, I was in Rovaniemi with Drakens and MiG-21s roaring all over the city! Lovely memories!

Tatu said:
I hope to get further south with time... the amount of data is huge, it takes time to optimize it. And as we proceed to south everything gets kind of "thicker"... more roads, more populated areas, more everything. It can easily bring sim to poor FPS or VAS usage.

I guess there is much to discovery over Lapland, so I am not asking for a whole HD Finland.
I am fine with FinlandX. Getting the best of both FinlandX and Lapland (with the trick you gave earlier) is the way to go!

Kiitos (thank you) once again for your scenery packs and support!

Last edited:
Country
austria
Hi Tatu, I installed your beautiful scenery and the lighthouses. Sometimes there are problems with the landscape. For instance: starting from EFUO isn't possible because there is no ground! I have no FTX-Global, and I think this is my problem, am I right? By the way, in my FSX the light there is meters above the lighthouse;) With your advice I found in the meantime several lighthouses:)

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello there,

I am experiencing pretty heavy blurries with the photoreal areas around the Lapland airports. I can’t reach Rovaniemi’s hospital from EFRO without the ground textures being blurred (flight distance = 3nm). Same with Ivalo from EFIV.

I don’t suffer from such blurries over my other heavy or photoreal sceneries (steady fps at 30 over OrbX Iceland demo’s BIRK or France VFR’ Rhône-Alps with additional autogen).

So I am wondering if other simmers are facing the same issue, and if anyone might have an idea about what may cause these blurries (on my side or from the scenery).

Here’s my rig :

Q9550S CORE 2 QUAD OC 3.4Ghz, MSI P35 NEO2-FR, GTX650 1GB DDR5, TWINX CORSAIR DDR2 4X1024MO, SAMSUNG T133 300GB 7200RPM 8MB, LG L1954TQ-PF 19” @ 1280x1024, GREEN POWER 400W, OS : Windows 7 64 bit, FSX Gold DX9

Last edited:
Country
finland
For instance: starting from EFUO isn't possible because there is no ground! I have no FTX-Global, and I think this is my problem, am I right?

Hi, sorry for late answer. EFUO you mean, Utö island. That's a helipad I created roughly to get some kind of starting point out in the sea. The helipad exists in real life, I'll check if I find what is bugging it. The terrain around Utö should be photoreal and Finland Base pack has 10m mesh to that area, so it is strange that you have problems there. Unless some other mesh (Baltic area maybe?) is confusing the system. I don't remember how the light is attached to the lighthouse, it might be set to an specific elevation and is wrong if the terrain isn't correct.

Hello there,
I am experiencing pretty heavy blurries with the photoreal areas around the Lapland airports. I can’t reach Rovaniemi’s hospital from EFRO without the ground textures being blurred (flight distance = 3nm). Same with Ivalo from EFIV.

I don’t suffer from such blurries over my other heavy or photoreal sceneries (steady fps at 30 over OrbX Iceland demo’s BIRK or France VFR’ Rhône-Alps with additional autogen).

I got your message, but answer here so that other people can benefit of it if necessary. Sadly, I have no idea what is causing blurries. I have a pretty bad computer (iMac 2011, running Windows 8 through bootcamp) running FSX-SE, DX10 fixer. If flying helicopters (Dodosim or cerasim mostly) the frames are pretty smooth even on rather high scenery settings. I can't say I have had problems with blurries really. If flying heavy jet addons (FSL A320 for example), then the scenery lags a bit behind, but then I use lower scenery settings. Surely Lapland terrain is pretty heavy scenery, the amount of data is really high, but it should wipe everything out underneath it, and should work ok.

* I am thinking if FinlandX (you are using that right?) might be causing the problem? Have you tried to disable FinlandX? There is nothing in FinlandX, that Rovaniemi or Lapland scenery need. I can't test it myself, because FTX Global breaks FinlandX terrain. Sorry. :(

* You could install EFRO again, just to make sure. If you had any previous versions, there could have been some duplicate files that are causing problems.

* Also check that you have no duplicate AFCAD files for these airports. (Some AI traffic packages might have installed them for example)

I also disable the sceneries that I am not flying in that sim session. The addons are getting so heavy and the data too much for sim to handle. I still do it manually, although SimStarter may work easier.

All in all... I think there is some kind of conflict between sceneries (or leftover sceneries, or neighboring sceneries like some Norway scenery close to EFIV for example) that might cause the problems. EFIV at least should run as good as Iceland, there is not much (not yet ;) ) around that area.

If you could check these things I listed. I have no more ideas at the moment.

Ah.. one more thing... check FSX.cfg file and the line:

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

If the radius is bigger you are loading a huge area in memory. If lower and you can live with that, then don't change it. :)

Country
austria
Thank you Tatu for your answer. I tried your scenery on a new laptop with win 10 and without other addons than Finnish_lighthouses and Finland_Base_Back. Sorry, Lapland crashes my little laptop. And many lighthouses were in the middle of the water in spite of your pictures at www.tatukantomaa.net/Lighthouses. I solved this problem with isles from sketchup;). The attachment has 2 pictures. One with Finnish_lighthouses and Finland_Base_Back (UTO1) and one without the addons (UTO2).
So I can ask you another time: have I to use FTX-Global for having ground under UTO?

For the light, I thought this is a part of the lighthouse because the other lighthouses I had to raise on the sketchup isles changed the lights higher?

Attachments

• UTO1.jpg
    UTO1.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 419
  • UTO2.jpg
    UTO2.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 431
Country
finland
The lighthouses have ground underneath them depending on the terrain scenery you have. We are working to get the whole Finland terrain as detailed as possible, but at this time only Lapland is ready. But some of the lighthouses have photoscenery as it looks like in your UTO1 picture.
These have photoscenery:
* Harmaja, just south of Helsinki
* Utö, you know that already
* Jussarö, somewhere between Helsinki and Utö
* Suomenlinna in Helsinki
* Tiiskeri east from Helsinki, close to Porvoo city if I remember correctly

I don't understand what is the problem with Utö, since it seems that the photoreal scenery shows up?

There is nothing unusual in Lapland scenery compared to other same kind of sceneries, absolutely no way to think of anything that crashes your laptop. :/

Country
austria
The lighthouses have ground underneath them depending on the terrain scenery you have.
Hi Tatu, as I said, I have only the original terrain scenery from the FSX-Gold DVD's. Absolutely no addons.
I don't understand what is the problem with Utö, since it seems that the photoreal scenery shows up?
The problem with Utö is there is a photoscenery but no ground. If I try to land with a heli it falls through! You see the picture Uto2, there is only water without the photoscenery. I can't land on the photoscenery without ground.
Concerning the Lapland scenery, maybe it is to big for my little laptop. I tried to start from EFKT (Kittila) and five minutes later FSX vanished without a error message.

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hi, sorry for late answer. EFUO you mean, Utö island. That's a helipad I created roughly to get some kind of starting point out in the sea. The helipad exists in real life, I'll check if I find what is bugging it. The terrain around Utö should be photoreal and Finland Base pack has 10m mesh to that area, so it is strange that you have problems there. Unless some other mesh (Baltic area maybe?) is confusing the system. I don't remember how the light is attached to the lighthouse, it might be set to an specific elevation and is wrong if the terrain isn't correct.

I got your message, but answer here so that other people can benefit of it if necessary. Sadly, I have no idea what is causing blurries. I have a pretty bad computer (iMac 2011, running Windows 8 through bootcamp) running FSX-SE, DX10 fixer. If flying helicopters (Dodosim or cerasim mostly) the frames are pretty smooth even on rather high scenery settings. I can't say I have had problems with blurries really. If flying heavy jet addons (FSL A320 for example), then the scenery lags a bit behind, but then I use lower scenery settings. Surely Lapland terrain is pretty heavy scenery, the amount of data is really high, but it should wipe everything out underneath it, and should work ok.

* I am thinking if FinlandX (you are using that right?) might be causing the problem? Have you tried to disable FinlandX? There is nothing in FinlandX, that Rovaniemi or Lapland scenery need. I can't test it myself, because FTX Global breaks FinlandX terrain. Sorry. :(

* You could install EFRO again, just to make sure. If you had any previous versions, there could have been some duplicate files that are causing problems.

* Also check that you have no duplicate AFCAD files for these airports. (Some AI traffic packages might have installed them for example)

I also disable the sceneries that I am not flying in that sim session. The addons are getting so heavy and the data too much for sim to handle. I still do it manually, although SimStarter may work easier.

All in all... I think there is some kind of conflict between sceneries (or leftover sceneries, or neighboring sceneries like some Norway scenery close to EFIV for example) that might cause the problems. EFIV at least should run as good as Iceland, there is not much (not yet ;) ) around that area.

If you could check these things I listed. I have no more ideas at the moment.

Ah.. one more thing... check FSX.cfg file and the line:

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

If the radius is bigger you are loading a huge area in memory. If lower and you can live with that, then don't change it. :)

Terve Tatu,

Thank you for taking some time to help me fix my blurries issue.

I suspected FinlandX to interfere in some way with Lappi scenery, but I made several changes at the same time, so I don’t know what my settings are anymore. On top of that, I had added a previous EFRO version (the Christmas one)…

I’d better start fresh with a proper uninstall and reinstall of Lapland.

Could you please confirm that the Lapland scenery are standalone, and do not require Finland base pack?

For the uninstall, is deleting the related folder in Addon Scenery enough? Are other files copied to other locations?

My LOD_Radius is set at 6.5 in an attempt to force the sim to load tiles as soon as possible.

Disabling all autogen altogether did not fix the blurries issue, but I am going to give a try at Lod_radius=4.5.

Thank you once again for supporting your sceneries.

PS : Sinun musiikkisi soitaa hyvä ! Nyt kuuntelen suomalaista tangoa…

Last edited:
Country
finland
Hi guys!

Finland base pack should include terrain for Utö. I'll check it, didn't have time to do it yet.

What comes to EFRO and Lapland sceneries.... yes they are standalone sceneries, except Finland base pack includes the mesh also for Lapland area. You could probably get decent looking Lapland without Finland base pack 10m mesh, since I included 5m and 2m mesh in Lapland package for photoscenery areas if the more detailed mesh source data was available. So Lapland works without Finland Base pack, but some lakes and rivers might go uphill and airports that I had no 2m mesh data available could be "on the table mountains" or sunken to the ground... You can test it.

With that LOD_radius of 6.5 you are really loading a huge amount of data to memory, it depends on the addons (both scenery and airplanes) how your sim handles that without leading to OOM.

You could also try Lapland without the powerline objects. Remove Voimalinjat_X bgl files from Lapland Basic and added detail Scenery folders. It removes the electricity towers (or whatever they are called) from the scenery.

There are some effect files, textures and airport elevation files in FSX default folders. Effects and textures can be there if you do a reinstall. Maybe you could delete all EFXX_ADEX_TAK_ALT.bgl files from FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery folder.
There should be these that came with Lapland, but actually since EFRO is not in there, I don't think you have any problem with these.
EFIV
EFSO
EFAA
EFKE
EFKT
EFKM
EFET
EFEK
EFPA

(Actually I think I forgot to include this file for Utö, it fixes the elevation for the helipad.)

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Terve!

Just to inform that my blurries issue was caused by an oversized scenery.cfg. I have installed SimStarter with a dedicated profile for Finland and Lapland, and all this pixel mess is gone!

A few pix for thank Tatu for his hardwork :

(The blue gammed cross was the Finnish insignia from 1917 to 1945. It had nothing to do with Nazism)

Over Rovaniemi

32205064953_b1e5bf45c7_b.jpg

Over Inari lake

32864885422_3dbaab29e7_b.jpg

Last edited:
Country
finland
Hello. For long time ago we had a Scenery design group in Finland called FISD, Finnish Scenery Designers. We used to release many sceneries just before Christmas... maybe I still have this schedule in my mind, or simply I want to have things ready for holidays. I don't know, but there are now 5 new sceneries uploaded for Finland.

Big thanks to Arno for very good tools for creating scenery!!

* Finland Base Pack version 2
* North Finland (region)
* South Finland (region)
* Flight obstacle data for Finland V2
* Tampere City Photoscenery

At first.... Lapland scenery that I released last year called "Postcards from Lapland" has got some improvements, and it's called now North Finland. This is a region scenery with land class, correct lakes and rivers, land use polygons, custom textures for wetlands, 2m mesh for selected areas, utility lines with electric masts, roads (bigger roads with skirting) and some custom objects. I have been studying Blender so I created this kind of "lodge" or fireplace, that are quite common here.
Laavu.jpg

I thought if I make a lamp in Blender where the fire is, so it will light this up.... so I ended up with this result in the flight sim:
laavu_fs.jpg

So. There are hundreds of fireplaces in Lapland, modelled using the above model or something else.

For the first time the north Finland has a elevation data that's resolution is 2m. I included all the parts that are available at this time. Saana, close to Kilpisjärvi looks absolutely stunning with photo scenery and 2m mesh.
Saana.jpg

Thanks to 29Palms scenery design and their configurator program, we are now enable for example to freeze the lakes and choose the combination of the scenery parts that work. So you customize at your will until the scenery works for you.

Kari Reinisalo releases the similar addon for South Finland, so now the whole country is covered with detailed terrain.

Then, Finland Base Pack. It got an update to version 2. The 10m mesh for Finland, now corrected from previous version and it includes some general scenery parts for whole country. And of course again.... 29Palms configurator!!

Finland flight obstacle data scenery now has windmills, the biggest chimneys and masts for Finland, but I combined the Finnish lighthouse and seamarks into this scenery. (Where it fits perfectly) I also added some traffic signs.... Yes. Road traffic signs in their real life positions.... Thinking about helicopter pilots mainly. It's basically quite useless and crazy, but somehow fun to do. :D
Again.... 29Palms gets the sincere thanks for their configurator where you can switch on and off the seamarks, lighthouses, traffic signs etc.

Tampere.... the third biggest city in Finland, situated in a beautiful spot between two lakes. Tampere City Photoscenery adds the city and airport area photo scenery with autogen and some custom landmarks. Tampere city provided night lighting data that has correct locations and different light types. There are thousands of lights placed so it may be have an effect for the performance.... but guess what... 29Palms... etc. :)
Tampere.jpg

So... Happy holidays, welcome to the virtual Finland that has never before looked so good and accurate as now. I'll let you know when the sceneries are online at FSNordic.net File Library.
Oh... These are created for FSX, but I think they work in P3D too.

Last edited:

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Kyllähän on se hyvää!

This is truly gorgeous, Tatu ! But you shouldn’t publish such pictures when the sceneries are NOT released yet. Naughty, naughty! :laughing:

Three questions though :

- Are all the small airports from Postcards from Lapland included in “North Finland”? You did not mention them yesterday

- What would be the installation sequence?

Bottom

Finland base pack v2

North Finland

South Finland

Finland Obstacles v2

Tampere PR

Rovaniemi v3

- Where did you get the Border Guard livery for the Bell 412 (Cerasim? Hovercontrol?) : Found it! fsnordic / msfs files / aircraft / military / Finland. And the livery pack is for Jordan Moore's 412 available at Hovercontrol. Perfect!

-

Thank you (and the team) once again for making virtual Finland as nice looking as the real one.

Last edited:
Country
finland
Hi!

Yes all the same North Finland airports are included and enhanced with photoscenery as in the previous Lapland scenery. Jäkäläpää and Martiniskonpalo have even the terminal building and library modelled. I am not kidding, you have to see it....

You got the installation correct. Obstacles can be installed also over photosceneries I think.

The helicopter is actually CeraSim Bell 412, the livery I think I just googled and ended up in some australian site.

Country
finland
Here is Jäkäläpää terminal and library building. :D
S_91.jpg

The fireplaces may also be of this kind:
S7.jpg