1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time ever seeing one of these?

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by jonmkj, 28/2/09.

1. jonmkj

jonmkj

us-northcarolina
    "End Fire" Glideslope antenna array, located at Rowan County Airport. It is supposedly only one of like five in the US.

It is a special type of antenna that allows for a glideslope at an airport with odd terrain (ie. the large gulley at the end of runway 20) that otherwise couldn't have one.

And here it is:

[​IMG]
  2. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    That is a nice object :)
  3. jonmkj

jonmkj

us-northcarolina
    One of a kind too :)
  4. mdm248111

mdm248111

us-northcarolina
    cool...

I live approx 1hr 30mins from Rowan County
  5. jonmkj

jonmkj

us-northcarolina
    Oh yeah? Where abouts?

I myself live just shortly over an hour from there.
  6. mdm248111

mdm248111

us-northcarolina
    I live in Raleigh. Never been there but looked at a map and estimated 1hr 30min
  7. jonmkj

jonmkj

us-northcarolina
    So you're not far from most of my projects then, especially KTTA Sanford Lee County Regional (for which I have very little even started).

I'm about an hour south of Raleigh down US1
  8. mdm248111

mdm248111

us-northcarolina
    thats cool...I am working on KLHZ, which is actually closer to where I live, in a suburb of Raleigh (Louisburg.) Yeah...KTTA had that dude make a no-gear landing a couple of months ago.
  9. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Once upon a long time ago, I lived in Cary, NC. I've driven back and forth between Cary and Ft. Bragg more times that I want to remember...

...I still remember giggling uncontrollably every time I saw the signs for Fuquay-Varina...

One of my more memorable mementos from my years in NC is the "Lizard Lick" sign hanging on my office wall... :D

My favorite memories are of listening to the morning drive hosted by Pat Patterson of WKIX... especially his bits about "Fundermotz Airlines," "Two Flags Over Fuquay," and "Uncle Zeb's Miracle Linament..."

http://www.therealpatpatterson.com/...Gallery/2006-01-07/010706_FUNDERMOTZ-DONE.mp3
    http://www.therealpatpatterson.com/...SoundGallery/2006-01-14/011406_FUNDERMOTZ.mp3

"Fundermotz Airlines, you won't even know your off the ground... 'cause your not. Fundermotz, now with non-stop service beween Bunn Level and Lizard Lick.

http://www.therealpatpatterson.com/...SoundGallery/2006-01-14/011406_2FLAGSDONE.mp3

"Tired of looking at mamma? Fillup your pickup with free-loading friends and head out to Two Flags, located in Fuquay!"

Uncle Zeb's General Store (the store's 'theme song' at the end of this clip is hillarious!)

http://www.therealpatpatterson.com/...dGallery/2006-01-21/012106_UNCLEZEBS-DONE.mp3
    Last edited: 8/3/09
  10. jonmkj

jonmkj

us-northcarolina
    Oh franklin county airport! I've been there once i think.

And "Fuquay-Varina" is an odd name, i agree
  11. mdm248111

mdm248111

us-northcarolina
    yeah--its pretty cool--Franklin Co

im working on scenery for it right now...i will post it..i guess here when I am finished.

I have some cousins that live in Fuquay-Varina.

n4gix-

Ive never heard of "Bunn level" I know Bunn (actually my high school and Bunn are like biggest rivals)
  12. jonmkj

jonmkj

us-northcarolina
    would love to see some screenies!
  13. mdm248111

mdm248111

us-northcarolina
    lol...youre going to have to wait until 2 things happen...

1) i figure out a way to either- export google Sketchup files to ADE and/or learn to use gMax effectively (hopefully the first)

2) get ADE to actually read my SDK...long story

but after I get that to happen, i will definitely post some shots;)

you live in Rockingham!?!? me and my dad go down there when they have the drag races---and we went to the very last NASCAR race at the track
  14. jonmkj

jonmkj

us-northcarolina
    Yep, but I live on the other side of town from the race track.

If you want some interesting trivia about the dragway, the west end of it has a number 9 painted on it. That's for the aircraft that once used it as a runway for landing when the NASCAR races were going on across the street. They had more aircraft going there than the actual Rockingham Airport (which is about 3 miles from my house), until they stopped them from landing there for insurance reasons.
  15. mdm248111

mdm248111

us-northcarolina
    thats cool...Ive been there 20 times but never knew that...

do me a favor...check out the Airport Design Editor Forum -> ADE Environment Test Editor thread...see if you can help
  16. mdm248111

mdm248111

us-northcarolina
    i just looked it up on Google Earth...thats really interesting