1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From MDL or fsc to 3ds...or 3dmax

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by RAF_Cobber, 28/1/09.

1. RAF_Cobber

RAF_Cobber

italy
    S!
    I read many on this forum about conversion troubles but I'm a bit confused.....
    please could you resume what I have to do to convert:

1.MDL to FSC
    2.FSC to 3dmax
    3.MDL to 3dmax
    say which steps and which program >>I have to use assuming that they have: fsdsver35, 3dmax.......

regards

Cobby
    Last edited: 28/1/09
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    1 and 3 are not realistically possible. Yes, there are any number of kludge methods, but none of them really work well, and frankly I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of (possibly) using someone else's model.

I have used such methods for my one of my ancient (FS8) models, but that was simply because my source files had become hopelessly corrupted... :whiteflag

As for #2 I will leave that for someone else. I don't use FSDS so really am not familiar enough to provide guidance.
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

This forum is about the ModelConverterX tool. With that tool you can convert a MDL file to a 3DS file, which you can import into 3DS Max. So that answers your third question.

For FSC to 3DS Max, I guess the way is to export from FSDS to MDL file. And then the approach is the same as number 3.

For MDL to FSC file, there is another thread in this forum that discusses that. I might add it in the future.

Of course the statements Bill made are very important. This kind of conversions are only supposed to be used on your own models. Modifying the work of others without their permission is not a good things to do...
  4. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    For practical purposes -

fsc to 3DSMax:

Convert to dxf with the CVA Converter utility, eimport into MAX or gmax (no texture assignments, etc).

Convert to wavefront *.obj file with the CVA covnerter utility, import into MAX (if MAX has a *.obj importer), or import into some model format converter. For example, I just popped an converted fsc *.obj file into Caligari's TrueSpace 7.6 (which is now free) and exported as a 3DS file, and then into gmax directly.