1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 (FS-X) shockwave 3-D lights auto installer?

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by mariopilot, 12/8/09.

1. mariopilot

mariopilot

italy
    Hi There!
    I'm not a programmer, but I'm an aircraft designer so I know something about this stuff.
    The shockwave 3D lights install only on default aircraft. There's no apparently simple way to find where the landing lights are located in fact. There's one "hacker" way tough. Looking inside the MDL file the landing lights are stored somewhere. One way to understand where may be to create gmax (or FSDS) models containing only landing lights, and sortuing out where they are. Cross-checking their coordinates in gmax/FSDS and attempting to find them out in the MDL file. a crude way is to use an already existant tool such as MDLC or MDLDisas to dump the model and read inside the output text file.
    Once you have the landing lights positiona, creating a program that adds landing light effects inside every aircraft.cfg should not be a hard task.
    Any takers? Thank you!
  2. Tyler

Tyler

us-alabama
    The lights are in the Aircraft.cfg
    Default 172
    Code:
    [LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit        
    light.0 = 3,  -2.88, -18.11, 2.95, fx_shockwave_navred
    light.1 = 3,  -2.88,  18.11, 2.95, fx_shockwave_navgre
    light.2 = 2,  -3.15, -18.31, 2.95, fx_shockwave_strobe
    light.3 = 2,  -3.15,  18.31, 2.95, fx_shockwave_strobe_2
    light.4 = 1, -20.60,   0.00, 6.33, fx_shockwave_beacon
    light.5 = 4,  -2.27,   0.00, 1.45, fx_shockwave_vclight
    light.6 = 5, -1.45, -9.1, 2.6,  fx_shockwave_landing_light_small	// Shockwave light
    light.7 = 6, -1.45, -9.8, 2.6,  fx_shockwave_landing_light_small	// Shockwave light
  3. Tyler

Tyler

us-alabama
    Now auto installer, you would have to talk to A2A About that
  4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D

unitedstates
    Well, I see no reason why a 3rd party, cannot create an AUTO-INSTALLER, that would edit installed aircarft, to add the Shockwave Lights in the correct place on the aircraft, by editing the aircraft.cfg file.

If the location of where the lights should be can be obtained from that aircarft.cfg file, or the Model file, COOL ...

The only limitation would be, that the Installer COULD NOT include any of the SHOCKWARE files, only their names, that it would edit into the aircraft.cfg file.

If the user did not have the Shockwave files, then the shockwave lights would not run. Maybe the Inataller should check to see if the Shockwave lights are installed, and warn the user, if not ( and suggest they purchase it -- I am sure the Shockwave people would like that !!)

Geoff_D