1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS9 MDL aircraft

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Basezaragozavirtual, 21/2/10.

1. Basezaragozavirtual

Basezaragozavirtual

spain
    A short question Arno. Is it on your priority list to make ModelconverterX able to deal with fs2004 MDL aircraft files?

Thank you!
  2. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    My highly biased vote - NO!

(selfishly speaking, I think he needs to work on the export to FSDS feature... :) )
  3. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    I think Ano's still travelling.

I also hope ModelConverterX doesn't go to aircraft models. The purpose of the program is to help developers resurrect old scenery APIs amd models from previous sims into a form that is FSX native.

Along the way, other interesting uses have been found, to further aid scenery developers ( hopefully with their own design content ).

But decompiling FS9 aircraft to FSX models comes way too close to being a method of stealing FS9 commercial content.

Most aircraft developers would still have the code for their FS9 models... so they can convert it in gmax or 3dsMax. And if the aircraft is older than FS9, it would probably be better to start from scratch.

As far as learning to make aircraft, there is a Douglas DC3 as an SDK example.

Just my opinion.

Dick
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

FS2004 aircraft MDL files is on the wishlist, but it is very near the bottom. Other features have more priority for me (most are scenery design related).

And even when FS2004 aircraft MDL files get added in the future, don't expect that you can convert whole aircraft. Since they tend to have complex animations I think only geometry can possibly be converted.