1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS9 mdl's

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Ayrsimming, 26/8/09.

1. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

Can you advise whether api files converted to FS9 mdls should then be able to be run through your MDLTweaker program. I am seeing some weird looking objects in the preview window which is making me think the answer is no.

Iain
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Iain,

I would expect that it is possible, but to be honest I did not try it myself. Do you see such trouble with any object you try?

Also, you can still apply tweaks with MDL Tweaker II, even if the preview looks weird. The tweaks are inserted without changing the object itself, so it should still look OK in FS afterwards.
  3. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi arno

Unfortunately the objects appear to look the same when placed in FS. Perhaps you might be able to check this yourself or I could post an example.

Iain
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi Iain,

I will try it myself, maybe it is something with the FS2004 export. It happens with any API you try or do they have to contain some special commands?
  5. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

Here is a fairly basic house, before and after.

Iain

Attached Files:

6. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    You have a very ugly object there, Iain ;)
  7. arno

netherlands
    Hi Iain,

I tried it here with an API, exported as FS2004 MDL, used MDL Tweaker II on the model. But after that it still loads fine in ModelConverterX and also in FS things look fine.

The preview in MDL Tweaker can be wrong, since it does not read the transformation matrices correct.
  8. Ayrsimming

Ayrsimming

scotland
    Hi Arno

My apologies, it does display in FS9. I had actually been placing it in scenery for FSX and having just tried it again it looks like the 'ugly' image I attached earlier. I was going on the assumption that it would appear the same in both versions. I have placed many Fs9 Gmax made objects tweaked with your MDLTweaker program in FSX scenery without any display problems and assumed that the ModelConvertorX converted objects would behave similarly.

Iain