1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSCareer - WIP

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DocMoriarty, 8/1/07.

1. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    During the past days i worked for the most part on a GUI for my addon. Slowly it gets alive. The "model" for the GUI is modelled and rendered in Blender 3D. Some smoothing probs left.

The attached thumbnail shows whats currently behind the "Help" button. Far away from some final state, though. Just to show off the basic GUI concept itself.

All written in Visual Basic 2005.

Attached Files:

2. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    Making slow progress due to RL workload, but making progress!!

Nothing eye candy like yet, but i reached an important milestone today:

I finished work on my BGL parser that parses all airport data based on scenery.cfg and apx*.bgl files and saves the whole stuff into a database. It's all built in into FSCareer. Scenery will be parsed automatically if the file or directory timestamps for the scenery change or manually if the user uses the tool function for it.

Speed seems ok, it takes 35 secs on my system to parse and save all 24.5K airports (all VB8 code, database=Access).
  3. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    Finally i can add the start and end ICAO to my flight log entries with pretty good accuracy (compared to FS flight logs) after implementing some clever and fast search logic and the whole geo coordinate calculation stuff that lets me find any objects in the players vicinity in the database which i completed last week.

So basically the flight log stuff is done and needs perhaps just some more testing and tweaking of some parameters.

Now need to do some dialog functions for displaying the logs, statistics and an alternative airport finder / selection window.
  4. salvapatuel

salvapatuel

unitedkingdom
    Screenshots looks great!

As you are using VB, have you been able to render your screens on Full screen mode? I have a form and when I try to call it in that mode it swaps everything to windowed mode!

Cheers
  5. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    No haven't been able to display my form in full screen mode, also the VB part is a standalone exe, not a dll within FS. I fooled around trying this and that though, for example using the FS main screen window as parent for my form which actually works in terms of being application modal to the FSX window but DirectX still minimizes in full screen mode.
    I postponed work on this problem for the moment until a later time and will see what changes in SimConnect/FSX with the next service pack before i continue with this. Although i don't believe in Santa anymore i have hopes that they might provide some better support for GUI related stuff.
    Last edited: 6/2/07
  6. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    A little update for this week, finished work on my airports list. Details with a couple useful charts (i hope) will be next. Too bad that my time budget for FSCareer this week is already used up again. Found some interesting airports ...

The screenshot shows the FSCareer screen in it's current full size, ~200KB

[​IMG]

Thats also a test for my new dynamic server, let me know if link doesn't work.
    Last edited: 9/3/07
  7. Red Falcon

Red Falcon

italy
    have you a demo or source?
  8. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    No sorry, net yet. I'm still a couple weeks away from the version that i will publish first due to heavy RL workload.
  9. Vitus

Vitus

newzealand
    Moin Doc,

I am very interested in your project. What kind of programming environment do you use? Is it Blender 3D (I dont know it yet), what you mentioned in the first post? What can it be used for?
  10. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    Moin Vitus :)

Blender 3D is an open source 3D modelling program with quite some depth. Perhaps not as rich (or different to) gmax but it has the advantage that i can use blender models for whatever i want (unlike gmax, which i can only use in MSFS). Look here for details: http://www.blender.org/

So far i've made good experiences with Blender 3D (not very intuitive but if you get the hang of it by doing some tutorials it's great).

I use Blender 3D for every model that i don't use within FS, such as the rendered model for the background image of my application and most likely a lot of other stuff that i have in mind in the role-playing department.

I might go as far as to writing my own exporter for Blender 3D -> X-File/MS FSX though i still hope that someone else does that or even ACES write an official exporter. I just don't like and don't trust in gmax's future and 3D Studio Max is a tad too expensive for just a hobby.

Coding is done almost pure in Visual Studio 8 (Prof. Ed.) / Visual Basic 8 + managed SimConnect with the exception of one DLL in plain vanilla C(without ++) that resides within FSX.
    Last edited: 24/2/07
  11. Jorge Antunes

Jorge Antunes

portugal
    Looking forward to that plugin, since i'm learning blender these days
  12. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    Slowly making progress with the airport details page. The intention is to provide a bit more detailed information on airports and maps that really show the airport and not just (best case) a few lines.

Starts to look somehow cool. I will also add an airport detail map that will finally enable you to taxi to blah blah via blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah without them yellow arrows on ground hehe. And maybe an approach map that shows approach paths and the vicinity of the airport.

First example is my usual homebase - Munich: EDDM
    [​IMG]

Second example is one of the most complex airports - Dallas/Ft Worth: KDFW
    [​IMG]

Actually KDFW is the reason why i had the idea to paint the maps. KDFW has 6 nearly parallel runways and with the airport map/printout from FSX it's impossible to find the correct runway when getting there first time. And taxiing has always been a problem. I mean it's nice to get an order to taxi to fuel via A,B,C,D,E,F,G,... but if you have no clue where these taxiways are it's no real fun and thats what my airport details page will take care of.
    Last edited: 10/3/07
  13. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    Post Edit: Unnecessary information removed.
    Last edited: 3/11/11
  14. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    Thats a very nice offer :) ... but the problem is in FSX you need to use whatever is in the sim data for the respective airport if you want to handle it right there. For example usually the gate numbers don't really match the real gate numbers and i'm certain the taxiway numbers don't match either, so real world maps wouldn't be too much of a help when flying in FSX.

I'm not painting the maps myself, its a function in my addon that reads and parses the airport bgl of the selected airport and draws the image and that works for all 25000 airports in FSX.

The idea is just to have maps that really provide the information you need to do it right (in terms of FSX), because FSX doesn't really show very detailed maps or airport info.

A few more examples or airport overview maps, now in their more or less final state:

06A - Example for a smaller airport
    [​IMG]

KSFO - San Francisco
    [​IMG]

KDEN - Denver
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: 10/3/07
  15. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
  16. theisomizer

theisomizer

us-texas
    Cool, I totally understand.

I should have figured you wrote a tool to paint them; you'd go nuts trying to hand paint that many yourself. :D

And yes, you are certainly correct about FSX's rendition of the airports not matching up to the real thing. Although the runways and most taxiways are correct, the gate placement is laughable.

Best of luck on your project,
    Sean
  17. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    I actually think this might get also a good tool for airport designers to view their work and find some bugs in the airport design like gate and taxiway placement. I will add some more details like which gate actually has a jetway and boundaries.

In the EDDF map you can see that two runways are overlapping and thats i guess because the original runway (8R/26L) got extended and became the 7R/25L but designers forgot to take the old one out.
  18. Vitus

Vitus

newzealand
    Hi Doc,

just a sidenote to the EDDF issue:
    In fact, there ARE four runways in Frankfurt! You may have noticed, that Runway 25L has got two touchdown zones and even two PAPIs/VASIs (not sure which system is installed..). That is, because Runway 26L and Runway 25L are identical except that 26 begins a few meters later. The idea was to line up aircraft on 25L even if another airplane lands on the same runway. With the different touchdown zones that could be possible. Even though, its not performed nowadays.

Until now, I have not found any taxiway that is wrong signed in Germay. But the gate and parking positions are cataqstrophic!

Best regards
    Vitus
  19. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    Thanks for the explanation for RWY 8/26 at EDDF. And i agree about the gates. At least that gives Airport Scenery Add On developers a good chance to make it better :)

Two more airports (click on map for details), today including boundary fences.

EDDW - Bremen - Germany
    [​IMG]

EDDM - Munich - Germany
    [​IMG]