• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSDS 3.5 with FSX:Steam and P3D SDK under Win 10

Country
us-california
I've been trying since 12/04/2016 to use FSDS 3.5. No joy. Two requests from Abacus resulted in the same fine customer service I've had from them in the past--no response.

I can enter the paths to FSX:Steam and P3D SDK in my sleep, I've done it so many times. I use this combination with ADE, MCX, SAMM and a number of other fsdev tools with absolutely no issues. Sometimes I have to Run as Adminstrator, sometimes I don't. With FSDS I've tried with and without. I've also set UAC to NEVER EVER. Still no joy.

Here's what I get. I Run as Administrator (fsds35.exe). A popup asks me for path to FS2004. Since the same popup says it runs with FS2004 and FSX, I enter the path to FSX and click Continue.

Another popup asks for paths to XtoMDL. I enter the path for the P3D SDK location.
It also asks for the path to BGLCOMP and modeldef.xml. I enter those and click OK.

The popup disappears, but nothing ever happens. The program never runs. Task Manager says it isn't running.

I've given up on Abacus. If I can't get this to work, I'm giving up on every Abacus product I have. I'm willing to put up with a little aggravation with freeware, but payware should have support. Ironically, I have no trouble with the excellent freeware fsdev tools. Only with payware. Might be a lesson there.

Eric

Country
ca-quebec
I dont know if FSDS can run with P3D SDK. May be you can try to use it with FSX SDK and adapt the MDL or BGL generated for P3D?

Country
us-california
I dont know if FSDS can run with P3D SDK. May be you can try to use it with FSX SDK and adapt the MDL or BGL generated for P3D?

p3d v1.4 is identical to FSX SDK that shipped with FSX Gold. It is the only version of P3D SDK that can be used with FSX. It generates and FSX MDL. So far, I've been able to use it with every tool that specifies the FSX SDK from FSX Gold.

I'd say it's probably not compatible. It's a real shame that FSDS seems to have died a death in terms of updates. I'm currently using the FSDS 3.52 version that I got after requesting it from Abacus in order to fix my welding of points - I've always found Adam to be helpful. However I've not been able to get FSDS 3.52 to work with FSDSxtweak 2.8 and that fine piece of software is no longer supported which leaves me using FSDS 3.52 and using MCX to convert materials etc.

Perhaps you'd be better off using the free Blender software, or even the Gmax in FSX - although I have no experience in those programs.

Country
us-california
I'd say it's probably not compatible.

Perhaps you'd be better off using the free Blender software, or even the Gmax in FSX - although I have no experience in those programs.

Thanks, DB. I think you're right about FSDS not being compatible with the software I have. I'm going to bag it until I hear otherwise and stick to freeware fsdev tools that are well supported (ADE and MCX are outstanding).

I've used Sketchup for woodworking and metalworking for years, and started using it for modeling, mostly structures, for FSX. I think I'm going to give it a serious try for all scenerey design.

Trying to model in Blender is a HUGE time sink with a near-vertical learning curve. Seriously, I used it hours daily for a month, devouring tutorials and trying to model everything in sight. Last week I went camping in Death Valley and when I got back I'd forgotten so much I could barely use it .:D

Yeah I downloaded Blender and then gave up very quickly afterwards. I still use FSDS for FSX aircraft, and the models do work in P3D although not utilising the new P3D sdk.

Country
ca-quebec
Suggestion... to add my whale breathing effect I did that : MDL make with FSDS -> export to *.3DS file with MCX -> import *.3DS file and adding effect in Gmax/FSTools. Fortunatly the *.3DS file keep texture mapping of my MDL so I have nothing to do about that in Gmax, just (!) smooting, linking parts, adding effect and making animation.

May be it is possible to do a similar manipulation and have a FSX/P3D compatible model...

Country
unitedkingdom
Look up XtoMDL UI It's a very simple tool that allows you to choose which compiler you wish to use. Just select the .x filfe from fsds choose the mpdeldef xml file you wish to use and it will compile the model. You can point it to any sdk that has a makemdl in it.