1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSDS V2 with Windows7

Discussion in 'FSDS' started by CAFedm, 6/9/11.

1. CAFedm

CAFedm

Hello, has anyone managed to install FSDS V2 on a system running Windows 7? I've got V3.5.1 working fine, but would like to have V2.0 operating as well, since there are some items that cannot be created (for older versions of FS) using the latest upgrade. The error comes up immediately upon installation, and seems it might not be compatible with this version of Windows. Hopefully it's something small that has been overlooked and can be corrected. I've e-mailed Abacus awhile ago but with no response, thought to ask here as someone may have attempted to try the same thing.
  2. sunayk

sunayk

turkey
    I have FSDS 2.24 running on Windows 7 Enterprise 32Bit, in addition to my FSDS 3.51. It gave me no trouble, also I am not using it but you may try the compatibily mode.
  3. CAFedm

CAFedm

I did try that as well but with no success. Forgot to mention I'm running 64 bit so maybe that could be the culprit. Thanks for the response.:)
  4. Farfy

Farfy Resource contributor

I have version 3.0 and 3.5.1 on win 7 64 bit with no trouble but NOT on C drive.

H_Farfy:D
  5. fsisland

fsisland

iceland
    I am also having problem installing FSDS 2.0 in 64-bit Windows 7. The thing is I have to install 2.0 first since I only have update to version 3.0. I have tried the compatibility mode but that did not change anything. Do you have a clue if it is possible to install version 2.0 on the 64-bit Windows 7?
  6. Farfy

If you only have one drive, make a folder on C drive but NOT in the program folder, if you have more than one drive install FSDS on a different drive.

7. fsisland

fsisland

iceland
    The problem is I can't run the program. I get this error message right at the beginning, before I can choose the installation folder:

[​IMG]
  8. Farfy

I am not 100% sure but I think you can set older programs to run in XP mode??
  9. fsisland

fsisland

iceland
    Yes I tried to run the program in compatibility mode but that did not change anything.
  10. Farfy

I am not sure what else you can do, perhaps one of the other guys here with more computer knowledge will help, if not you are will need to get help from Abacas.

One note here I had a look at the disk I got for my version 3 and discovered it had the exe version 2.24 I ran it and installed with no problem.

But I put it on “D” drive not “C” drive, I have win 7 64 bit.

11. fsisland

fsisland

iceland
    I only have one version of fsds 2.24 since my 3.0 was a download and I only have a C: drive :rolleyes: I have sent Abacus an email. Hope they respond soon. Thanks for your help!!!!! ;)
  12. CAFedm

CAFedm

Happy 2012 everyone! I gave reinstallation another go, with the following result: using Win7 64-bit, the program refuses to respond upon installing. Even when using compatibility mode (XP2 or XP3), it just sits there unresponsive. I attempted installing the program via copying my XP installation onto a thumbdrive and then pasting it into My Documents within Win7 64-bit (not kosher but to see if it would work). It almost works...it remains in demo mode, limiting creation of scenery objects to within the Seattle area. I tested it with some Canadian Arctic scenery and using an existing FSDS2 project I had on hand, and although it did compile (and created a similarly-sized .bgl file as per the original), it did not render at all in FS2004. My interest in getting this going being that FSDS V2, although old, has features that are excellent for scenery design (such as creating proper beacon lighting and macros) which still work fine with either FS9 or FSX projects. I have the validation code handy, however there is no option to enter this when in demo mode. Maybe someone can get this case resolved and the program can have a chance of being salvaged. I also e-mailed Abacus when this was first posted and never heard back.
    Last edited: 2/1/12
  13. Farfy

Hi Guys, I have Win 7 64 bit

I have the disk for V3 and I always just let the auto install run. So I didn’t even know I have V2.24.

I was looking at the disk the other day trying to see if I could find a way to help fsisland and found V2.24.

I installed it on my D drive and it ran with no problem, I then decided to install it in a better location, and it gave a little trouble, but all I had to do was go to “regedit” and fix one path and it work good again, So perhaps check the paths in regedit.

If you only have one drive, make a folder on “C” drive but NOT in the program folder.

H_farfy:D
  14. andyjohnston.net

andyjohnston.net

ca-ontario
    I have 64 bit, and installed with no issue.

Sorry I can't offer more help, but it can be done.
  15. PutPut

PutPut

us-california
    I have FSDS v2.24 and V3.51 running side by side in a separate folder on C drive. ( It is Win 7 64 bit Home Premium) It goes: C:\Design Programs\FSDSv2.24, FSDSv3.51, FSDSXTweak v2.81, etc. I put any design program that writes back to the registry in that folder. Just have to be careful with the initial install paths. Been running like this for over a year with no problems.

Best, Paul
  16. wolfi

wolfi

germany
    Hi, I‘m new here

I’ve got here because I’ve the same problem with FSDS2.4. I can’t install it so I copied the whole install from my old PC into the Program(x86) folder at my new Win 7 64 system, after start FSDS2.4 it runs fine but only in demo mode. I tried to register the program by pushing the register bottom (help/register) without success. I think it must be only a minor Problem and someone with computer programming knowledge should be able to fix it.

I installed FSDS3.5 without problem on my new 64bit system. Unfortunately FSDS3 doesn’t support CFS2, so I need FSDS2. The good thing you can open FSDS3.5 files with FSDS2.4 without problems.
  17. Farfy

I don’t think you should install it in the program folder of C drive with Win 7.

Copy and paste from your old pc will work but, you will need to go to the registry and set the paths.

18. wolfi

wolfi

germany
    Oh sorry, I forgot to mention it in my above post; yes, I correct the path with "regedit" but without result! it's still in Demo mode.
    I copied it to the "D" drive (and regedit it) but also without luck, it’s still running in demo mode, I think the problem is that I can't enter the serial key into FSDS2.4
  19. CAFedm

CAFedm

Exactly the same problem here - the only way it will "install" is to copy an existing installation over, and doesn't matter where it is placed (programs/documents/desktop), it works only in demo mode. Still haven't heard anything back from Abacus...
  20. Woof

Woof

unitedkingdom
    I'm having the same problem. Could not install V2 and therefore also not able to instally V3.0 as I only have the upgrade package. Therefore did a copy and paste to the new PC (W7 Home Premium 64 bit).

In addition to FSDS V2 being stuck in demo mode FSDS V3.0 is not processing textures: they just dont appear when I try to add them to a part, edit the settings for a textured part, or in the 3D mode preview window. However if i generate any of my previously textured models the textures and mapping are still correct in the sim.

I suspect this may be a registry issue as I havent created any entries for FSDS v2 or 3 on my new machine. As I replaced my old tub due to C: drive failure I don't have any way of checking what should be in the registry.

Can anyone provide these details so I can enter manually? I'm still waiting for a response from abacus help.