1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSSC-Problem with Background Image

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by Kurt2404, 1/4/09.

1. Kurt2404

Kurt2404

austria
    Dear all,

as quite a newbie in scenery design I'm actually facing a strange effect related to the background picture function in FSSC and did not manage to find a work around it:

For your information - I run FS9 with all patches together with Austrian Professional including all patches - all other installed sceneries may not have any influence on my problem.

I started to develop two projects in parallel. The first is to create a scenery for the hospital in Wiener Neustadt/Austria, the second one to do the same in Vienna for the hospital Rudolfstiftung. In both cases I started with creating a background image as "baseplate" for all the other objects to come soon. I quickly found out that the format of the photo files has to be 1024 x 1024 pixels with 8 bit colour code and bmp-extension. Scaling and accurate placing worked perfect and easy. Of course I created also flattens of the same dimension as the photo to avoid any problems with mesh related slopes. After activating both of the sceneries the photo background showed up perfectly fitting in Wiener Neustadt, but in Vienna the photo area was just a (exactly arranged) white square. At first I estimated a conversion problem with the photo for Vienna, but then I exchanged the photos testwise... And what a surprise: The Vienna-photo was diplayed on the Wr. Neustadt location without problems while the Wr. Neustadt-photo did not show up in Vienna (white square again).
    Further I tested to add a textured polygon above the Vienna-photo area and it worked also fine - as a textured area above a white square.

Has anybody experienced such a problem and knows how to solve it? Each and every hint will be welcome!
    Last edited: 1/4/09
  2. Kurt2404

Kurt2404

austria
    Goord morning,

sorry to see that nobody had a suggestion for a solution so far.:blackcat:

Anyway I try it a second time:
    In addition to my first posting I found out that the "white" background image seems to work also as an exclude for autogens. If I remove it a lot of buildings appear around the scenery center. And they disappear with the background image being active. :scratchch This effect doesn't bother me at all but maybe somebody could use this information to find a solution for my problem.
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Kurt,

That ground polygons made with FSSC (or similar programs) exclude autogen is normal, so that is not something that worries me.

I was a bit confused about your initial problem. It sounds a bit like something is wrong with that one texture, as other textures seem to work. Did I understand that correctly?

Are both ground polygons in the same FSSC project or not?
  4. Bambi_007

Bambi_007

germany
    Hello Kurt,

sometimes it is enough to forget to set a little dot.

Look at the Picture, do you see the Arrow?
    Have you set the dot before: Sichtbar im Flugsimulator
    by default it is Off.

I have it forget sometimes and see only a polygon without texture in FS.

[​IMG]
  5. Kurt2404

Kurt2404

austria
    Hi everyboy!

@ Arno: In fact I did not create a polygon (except the flatten) intentionally at all - I just used the background picture function from FSSC to place the bmp within the scenery and to display it in FS9. Maybe this FSSC-function has the same effect like a autogen exclude polygon in addtion to inserting this backgorund picture.
    Well, I can absolutley proof that both of my bmp's are working: I exchanged them - the result was that the Rudolfstiftung-background was displayed on the Wr. Neustadt location without problems, whilst the Wr. Neustadt photo was whited out again on the Rudolfstiftung location. So it cannot be the problem of the photo itself.
    The photos are used in different sceneries (Rudolfstiftung and Wiener Neustadt) but in both the absolute same working steps were applied.

@ Sandra: Thanks for your info, but I had this tack box activated in both sceneries - but I will try to untack it, safe the project and to tack it again. At least this is something I did not try until now.
  6. Bambi_007

Bambi_007

germany
    Do you have two new Scenery Folder in Addon Scenery Folder.

Do you really shure that the bgl goes in the right scenery Folder after export?
  7. Kurt2404

Kurt2404

austria
    Sandra,

- yes, I do have different folders in my Addon Scenery directory. Both were manually created.

- yes, because I defined a neutral path for my exported file to avoid any miss adressing. I simply move the files from this neutral place into the scenery directory (in my case either KH-Rudolfstiftung or LKH-Wr_Neustadt) which I am working on. And of course the bmp's into the texture and and all the other bgl-stuff into the scenery sub folder.

But wait - could it be that this manual moving is the reason? I remember now that I changed the path definition between the works on these two sceneries.
    Sandra, I'm not sure if I made a fault here, but I will check this out today evening. Anyway thanks for this idea!
  8. Kurt2404

Kurt2404

austria
    Good afternoon everybody,

what I did some minutes ago:
    - I checked the pathes with FSSC and saved the project Rudolfstiftung again. All bgls are now automatically placed by the FSSC scenery wizard in the right scenery sub folder.
    - For test reasons I added a new polygon on layer 24 and filled it with an existing default texture called taxi_grass_hw.bmp.
    - I untacked the tackbox "visible in FS", saved the project, tacked the box once more again and saved the project.
    - I compiled the project via scenery wizard and checked after this all the files in KH-Rudolfstiftung/Scenery resp. KH-Rudolfstiftung/Texture. All OK.
    - I started FS9, chose the testflight for Rudolfstiftung and got this result as on the first photo. You see the white square and on top the grass polygon. No improvement yet.
    - The second one shows you the content of the FSSC project. Everything looks nice for me - but it does not work properly.
    - The third picture shows you the project LKH-Wr_Neustadt with a perfectly displayed background bitmap. Don't mind the small scenery spot on the northern border - this is the old scenery which shall be replaced by the new photoreal one. But look at the perfect alignment - all diplayed mainroads fit very well.

So far I have to say that nothing has changed and I still need help.:(:wave:

Attached Files:

9. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    The area for the background image must be flattened. You may have already done this.

The normal way of placing photoreal imagery would be to use resample. That involves no flattening, and you can place autogen upon it. Sbuilder is a good tool for doing this.

"GroundPolys" are usually only used on flattened airport areas, when the airport background texture, or runway texture is not good enough for the designer.

The inability to see the texture is that the texture cannot be found by the sim. It's either in the wrong texture folder, or it is in the wrong texture format or the wrong texture name.

Dick
    Last edited: 2/4/09
  10. Kurt2404

Kurt2404

austria
    Hi Dick,

thanks for joining the row of active helpers :)!

As you may see from my enclosed photos the area covered by the background photo is not so big (about 400 to 500 m square) but I want to have it in a nice highres quality. This worked quite fine with my first project - the result is shown on the outmost right picture of my last posting.

In the middle photo you may see the settings in the background picture window from FSSC where I set the link to the pic as "C:\Programme\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\KH-Rudolfstiftung\Texture\kh rudolfstiftung hintergrund 1024x1024 8bit.bmp". This is exactly where the bmp is located and how it's named. The format is 1024x1024 pixels without alpha channel, not extended, 8 bit color (see attached screenshot). And there is no problem with displaying THIS bmp in another scenery!

Don't know where my fault hides...:confused:

Attached Files:

11. Bambi_007

Bambi_007

germany
    I Think do you have spaces in the filename of the bmp and this maybe occure the error.
  12. Kurt2404

Kurt2404

austria
    Sandra,

that's it - a full hit! I had simply spaces within the file name of my bmp. And during my exchange tests I just swapped the pictures but kept the names.

Once more many thanks for your kind and skilled help!
  13. Bambi_007

Bambi_007

germany
    Solved

Nice to read that Kurt. :greenflag

Good Luck for the Rest of your Project ..... and do you know where you can find us. :)