1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX airport/scenery help

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by chappy, 23/8/07.

1. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    Higuys i am completely new to scenery(although in FSX i have made my own mission scenery) and i want to make scenery instead of having to make a mission for the scenery. idont know how to use the .BGL to make the scenery FSX useable(i know how to place it etc).

also i want to maybe adjust NZCH airport and or make scenery for NZWG which has no airport scenery at all. with the object placement tool can i place runways and taxiways? or what tool can i use to do that in FSX.

Regards

Chappy
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    When you say you want to make scenery what do you mean?

Scenery is made up of a number of layers with mesh and land/water classes at the bottom level. Then you can add objects onto that. If you want to change the way the ground looks then you need a tool like SBuilderX or FSX KML. To place objects there are a number of tools including Instant Scenery (payware)

To create the underlying airport facilities you will need a tool like FSXPlanner or AFX (payware). These provide the ability to add runways parking etc
  3. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    well i want to first of all place things like building's using the object placement tool and make that scenery, cause i dont know how to do that.

thanks

Chappy
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Making scenery with the Object Placement tool is very simple. After you have placed all the objects you want in the tool, you use the "Save scenery" button to save a scenery XML file Be aware, saving it as a mission also gives a XML file, but that has another format.

You need to compile this XML file with the BGLComp tool that comes with the SDK. That will give you a BGL file and once you load that in FS your objects should be visible all the time.
  5. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    Hi, i have saved the scenery as scenery and stuff but i really cant use the BGL comp. can someone please tell me everything i have to do with the scenery file and the BGLcomp to compiler.

Thanks

Chappy
  6. meshman

meshman

Save you scenery file where you can easily find it. In Windows Explorer go to where you've saved the file and copy from that folder and then paste it into the folder that contains the BGLComp file. In that destination folder, that has BGLComp, drag the scenery file that should have an extention of XML and place it on top of the BGLComp.exe file. Release the mouse button and in a blink of an eye you should see a new file appear in that folder with the same name as your scenery file, but with a BGL extension. You can now copy the BGL file to an active folder in FSX and start to enjoy your work. :D
  7. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    when i drop the scenery file onto the BGLcomp it runs but when it's finished i dont get a BGL file its just the same XML, it doesnt even create a new file at all.

Chappy
  8. meshman

meshman

You're dropping an XML file onto BGLComp? Can you attach it to the forum and sombody can look at it.
  9. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    yeah an XML onto the BGL, ill put it on here later for you's.

thanks

Chappy
  10. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    heres the folder, it's just one object just to see if it works and to know how to do it.
    Last edited: 20/9/08
  11. meshman

meshman

The XML that you've posted is for setting up a Mission, not a scenery file. So that's why you're not getting a BGL file when trying to run it through the BGLCompiler.

Way back in the early days (of FSX), Luis FĂ©liz-Tirado made some reference material for using the Object Placement Tool. It's available at Avsim, via this download link; http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=96257

It's been a long while since I looked at the OPT, but IIRC the file must be saved as a scenery file, and not resaved later as a mission file. The latter overwrites the former.

I'd recommend looking at Luis' reference material and then if you need help further, let us know.
  12. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    YAY i got it, thanks guys for your help, because of that dudes page thingy u directed me too i found out wat i was doing wrong!!!

is there in the object placement tool anything that lets me place runways and or taxiways?
    or wat program that is free can i download that lets me??

thanks all !!!

Chappy
  13. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    hi again guys, is it possible to make an airport for FSX using free tools?
    if so where can i get the tool/tools from.

thank you's

Chappy
  14. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Yes, take a look at FsX Planner for example. It has its own subforum on this site.
  15. chappy

chappy

newzealand
    thanks for that arno, i am asking questions on the subforum for FSX planner.

thanks heaps for all your help

Chappy