1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX Elevation Problem - TSIM MDPC

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by duckbilled, 2/9/11.

1. duckbilled

duckbilled

us-michigan
    Hello,

I have a problem with TropicalSim's MDPC for FSX SP2. I have a standalone version from TSIM and I can go to them with the problem but I'd like to figure it out myself. In the end, if the problem is fixable, it may be unique to my setup (for some reason) and it would probably be easier to do on my own. Problem is I am not sure where to start.

The problem with the scenery is am not seeing runway lights or markings. I am pretty convinced they are there but are a few feet below the surface. If I open up their AFX file, they do exist.

The original TSIM AFX airport and runway elevation is set a 12.192 meters when opened with ADE

The stock FSX MDPC BGL has an elevation of 14.3256 (47ft according to AFX).

If I raise the airport elevation to 12.202 in ADE, the aircraft starts below the airport surface, on the ADE generated runway, and I can see the runway with the markings. The aircraft also are sunken in to the ground. If I lower it to 12.18, I am still under ground. If I raise it to 14.3256, I start on the surface, AI are on the surface but I don't get markings or lights.

So, to me it seems like I need to get the ASE file to place its objects on top of the surface rather than just below the surface.

Any idea where I should go with this?

Thanks,
    Jeff

PS - I know it is not a good idea to bounce between programs but I intend to add the FSX approach data after I get this elevation thing figured out. I need ADE for that but I like the feature in AFX that finds all associated BGL's with an airport by searching by airport code.
    Last edited: 2/9/11
  2. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    If TSIM have set the elevation different to the default, they ought to have provided a dummy AFD in the FSX\Senery\World\Scenery folder to fix the elevation.
  3. duckbilled

duckbilled

us-michigan
    Thanks George. Is there anything I can do to create it or do I need to go back to TSIM. I bought this scenery as part of a combo pack a few years ago. To get me just the updated version of MDPC (the only one I wanted from the old pack), they had to break it out in to a standalone installer. I don't see a dummy file in that location (except the bgl I created when I played with the elevation). As I mentioned, AFX will pick up all the releated BGL's for an airport - AFX doesn't pick up anything and I don't see anything in Windows Explorer.

Anyway, if I can't fix it, I'll email them but I am sure it will take time going back and forth to get it fixed. It would be easier just to do it on my own if it is possible.
  4. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Use ADE to change the elevation to 12.192m using Tools/Change Airport Altitude. On compiling, it will create the dummy file and place it in World\Scenery.
  5. duckbilled

duckbilled

us-michigan
    Thanks. I started with their original AFX file that has the 12.192 alt. I went in to change alt, save it at 12.192 and complied. It did create a dummy file. Whenever I change the altitude (up or down), I end up starting below the surface. If I leave it alone, I start on the surface but the runway lights/marking are not visible.

Now, if I change the altitude and slew around the airport. I will see some ai that are sitting properly and some that are sunken. When I slew, my aircraft will fluctuate between being below the surface and above the surface.

It seems like there is a flatten missing or altitude information in the TSIM scenery folder that is overriding the dummy file.

Here are a couple pics if I am not making any sense. BTW, If I start at the opposite end of the runway, I am above ground but I can't see the runway markings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 3/9/11
  6. duckbilled

duckbilled

us-michigan
    FYI, this has been resolved.

TSIM forgot one of the files when they made the custom installer for me. I should have just gone to them first because they had it fixed in no time.

Thanks again for the help. Also, I would like to commend TSIM for providing great service.