• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

[fsx] help needed on wheel texture

Country
netherlands
Hey everyone,

I started out making my own scenery models, actually, cargo dollies and a mobile airstair. My workflow is; Making the model in Autocad. Importing that in to Google Sketchup where I assign the textures and all that. Then converting is to a .mdl with ModelconverterX and inserting that model with the latest Airport Design Editor.

The textures I use are all default textures. Like the texture of the baggage loader. Same goes for the wheels, is use texture "bagcart_Flat_tire".

Now the problem. I've been working on two airport now. OMAA and LIME. OMAA contains some 150+ models with these wheels. Where they don't show up. When I started out I had only 6 models on site and the wheel-texture showed.
I did the same thing with LIME where there are only 60 models with these wheels. At first they don't show up but when sitting near them for 5 second they suddenly show up. Same goes for the towbar of the dollies which also uses the wheel texture.

Does someone have a clue what is happening and a solution for this problem.

greetings,

Victor

The wheels at LIME
LIME%20wheel-2.jpg

No show at OMAA
OMAA%20wheel-1.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Are you sure the texture can be found? I can not find that texture in my FS installation, so not sure if it is a default one. It would have to be in the texture folder that belongs to the scenery folder where you put the objects.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Ok, found it in the scenery\global texture folder now. But I don't think that one is on the default search path for textures, you would need to have a local copy.

Country
netherlands
if so why does it pop up at LIME and not at Abu Dhabi?

And i belief other textures I used are also in the scenery/global/texture/folder.

Country
netherlands
I thought I had solved it but I was wrong. When I completely finished placing all the dollies the wheels disappeared again. But the strange thing is, this time i used the wheel of "VEH_Air_BagLoaderBlue", which is in the scenery/global/texture folder. You might think that you need to go from the main texture folder. But the airstars and also a GPU I made also use completely(airstairs) or partly (Wheels of GPU) that same texture. And they work fine. Only thing is that there aren't as much of them as those dollies.

Another thing what I observed was that when i was one/third way through placing all these dollies the wheel showed. Half way through the model with 5 dollies in it(I made three different model; one with a single dollie, one with 3 dollies and one with 5 dollies), didn't show the wheel any more. The other two still did. When i continued with the single and 3 dollies models the wheel also disappeared.

That makes me believe that there is some sort of limit on models.
But the strange thing is that it only applies to the wheels. The rest of the model is working fine.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I am not aware of such limitations in FSX. For sure you are not the first to place dozens of models on an airport.

Are you sure that you put the texture in the right subfolder? The scenery\global texture folder is not search by default.

Maybe they only show when a default object is active on the airport as well that uses the same texture. That could be an option.

Country
netherlands
It's very puzzling.

The wheel texture I currently use, comes from the baggage loader texture. That's the same baggage loader that is at every gate and moves to the aircraft when parking at the gate. (It's in the second picture.) Beside that the airstair uses also that texture. And it works alright right know. The number of airstairs currently is 26. And the single dollie model is at 30. The 3 dollies model is at 139 though. But then again. The rest of the model is perfectly showing. That would be an issue if there would be a limit of some kind. And it also is rooted out of scenery/global/texture.

Maybe the design of the wheel, which is just a disk, nothing 3d or something.

When using ModelconverterX the texture becomes red when assigning the textures. What does that mean. Might that be a clue?

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That red colour is just so that you can see which one is selected.

Country
netherlands
I figured it out the problem was that the wheels where flat disks. I made them 3d again and I have no problems no more.

Last edited: