1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTX Central and Updaters / Installers technology

Discussion in 'General chat' started by lionheart, 16 Jun 2017.

1. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    I lost my computer main hard drive a couple of weeks ago. Ive been rebuilding my programs and sims since.

Today, I learned about FTX Global, while downloading all my ORBX scenery. My goodness, its incredible. I would love to have something like this for my fleet of airplanes. You can see if there are updates, you can download directly for updates and purchases. You can shop, update, redownload, reinstall, install into a new simulator when it comes out (V4). Impressive....

385t34r.JPG

2. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Very clean layout. Simple, pro looking. Goodness...

3. Gypsy Baron

Gypsy Baron

us-california
    Too bad they do not tell you how large a download is going to be! My slow internet access gets tird up for 8-10 hours or more when updating/re-downloading various OrbX products. The fastest my connect will allow is about 1 GB/hour. Hard to tell if I want to grab an update not knowing how large it is.

Paul

lionheart likes this.
  4. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona

At least you didnt have to redownload Aerofly FS2 with all its addons. 125 Gigs. 2 days. 2 Full days... And it wasnt fixed, it ends up being an older graphics driver issue, lol...

EDIT: And thats with fast internet.

See if you can get a better internet deal. Downloading 1 Gig files now is common. Its nice when you can do that in 15 minutes or so.

5. Paul Domingue

Paul Domingue Resource contributor

us-maine
    Paul,
    I am for the first time in years in the same boat. Where I live in Maine the service available is third world. I wanted to download an update for P3D and it would take over 12 hours so I set my computer to download overnight. Three days I tried and the connection would break every time. I finally drove an hour to a friend's place who had 100mb speed to download in 15 minutes. Life is not great without high speed. How strange is that? Never thought I would be so dependent.

lionheart likes this.
  6. HiFlyer

HiFlyer

unitedstates
    Aerofly was what made me decide to get a faster internet connection speed. Now I can do that 125gb download in about 2-1/2 hours, and lots of things I was loathe to download due to the time it would take I now have no hesitations about purchasing.

I think FTX central is cool, but honestly it's just a little brother Steam, and something I advocated for a long time. I actually stopped purchasing Orbx stuff years ago because it was such a hassle to hunt down updates, keep up with purchase information, keep track of versions.......

Bleah!

Now I have actually purchased some more stuff from them, because of the ease of Central.

lionheart likes this.
  7. Gypsy Baron

Gypsy Baron

us-california

My ISP is great in all other respects. My problem is that I am right on the edge of the
    maximum distance from the central office. Until my ISP migrates its fiber network
    out to my area I am stuck. My ISP also provides my land line which is much better
    service than that provided by PacBell/AT&T.

I have a download manager that supports large downloads in that it continues to
    attempt to restore connectivity and continue downloads that would otherwise be
    abandoned. The problem with FTX/OrbX is that it doesn't allow for my manager to
    even start the D/L.

Paul

8. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Does the free / 'nagware' version of "GetRight" (favorite download accelerator / manager of both John Venema and me) ...take over and work for a HTTP-type (freeware version does not work for HTTPS-type) file download from the FTX Central linked server ? :scratchch

http://getright.com/

If so, one can perform a 'segmented' and mirrored download that accelerates file retrieval in upwards of 4 to 6 segments, by having each segment target only a portion of the desired file on the server, thus speeding up one's download rate via multiple connections, and effectively working around limitations of one's ISP bandwidth throughput speed via use of multiple TCP/IP connections that consolidate all the targeted segments into a 1-piece file after the download is complete. :wizard:

GaryGB

lionheart likes this.