• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Full Complex Scenery

Country
belgium
Hi Everybody ,

Today I've seen EBBR ( Germany / Bremen ) airport scenery which is done by Oliver PABST. I don't know if anyone had seen this scenery. If you're interested in and want to see :
http://www.fsfreeware.com/dcd/FS2004/Scenery/
You can make a search with EDDW as a resource name.

The thing I want to ask, how is it possible to create such a complex airport ?
There are lots of things in this airport :
Follow me cars, Passenger Bus, Fuel Tank, Stairs, Gates, Catering ...... etc.

Before writing any response please examine the scenery. You'll then understand why I Ask this Question ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

That is indeed a very special scenery. The trick is that most of these special effects are writing directly in SCASM code. So it is not possible to say tool X will give you this result, most of these things are that special that no tool is there to create them. You need to use your own imagination, combined with good knowledge of the scenery code and then you can get very far :).

Country
belgium
About SCASM !

Hi Arno !

As the SCASM is the programming language of a scenery, I think to learn it a must if I would like to create scenerys like BREMEN scenery.
So where could I find some tutorials or resources about SCASM? I'm familiar with programming languages like VB,VFP... etc. But SCASM is a little bit different.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
But please not that a lot of the SCASM commands are not really at the Fs2004 scenery level. If you want to make trully Fs2004 scenery you could better start learning BGLC and the RIFF MDL format. Unfortunately there is no big tutorial for that format yet, as everybody is still learning it :).

I have for example seen that with GMax and conditional animations you can also make a lot of special effects and animations. So I would advice people to try that first. Just use your imagination ).

Country
belgium
Hi There,

I'm OK with you that SCASM is not well to create scenery for FS9.

We can create fuel trucks, passenger bused but I can not find a solution for a " Follow Me " car or Pushback car :banghead: .
I would like to create a scenery that is very like the real one. Infact thats all we are running after :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If I remember correct the follow me car is a specially triggered dynamics scenery there. I think if you use the correct triggers you can also create that with GMax.

Country
belgium
Hi Arno !

There is one more thing taht I want to ask. Is it possible to create a scenery with userdefined variable ?. Like What ?
As I examine the EDDW scenery, I saw that writer had created a little VB application. By the help of this application, he let FSuser to define the place of the doors of the aircraft. After, he compiles these informations to a bgl file.
In the scenery the gate or stairtruck, changes its approach path according to these userdefined parameters.
Is it possible to use a bgl file to store parameters that you can use it in your scerney ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, you can have local variables in your BGL file, where you can store almost anything you want. In CAT I also use local variables to store the state of the animation.

Mad shatz,
I think Oliver has found out the way to connect external software to communicate with scenery via FSUIPC. Unfortunatelly I don't know how to do this. I really want to make stairs to come to aircraft in my FS Slovenia scenery. But if You take a look for example trucks, follow me cars etc, that come to Your aircraft by Your call as a pilot, You don't need anything special outside FS. The secret is in the fact, that dynamic scenery can stop when aircraft or another dynamic object is crossing path of Your object and You can control the radius of sensing the foreign dynamic scenery object in Your dynamic scenery object. And the the object that prevents motion doesn't need to be visible...

Best regards,

Country
belgium
Hi Gorchi,
I've not examined OLIVER's scenery in detail. I had an examination on surface.
I saw that OLIVER had done a little utility software, so that user can define place of doors of his aircarft. This software keeps these informations in a bgl file. And in his scenery stairtrucks changes his approach according to this information which is created by his little software bgl.
First important question is ( for me :) ) how can he recognise the type of aircraft that user fly in the dynamic scenery ? Because according to the type of aircraft dynamic scenery determines and gets the true coordinates for stairtruck from that BGL file.
Second thing that I can't understand, Oliver had done a Destination Panel. You can also indicate what this panel will write as a destination with the help of his little utility software...
I don't want to create a scenery like Olivers scenery. Because I think that if you add lots of dynamic animation into your scenery, your framerate will drop. As I see in Olivers scenery I can't get framerate more than 10/11.

Best Regards.

Hi!
The way Oliver made this utility is a mistery to me. Frankly I don't have any more spare time since last 4-5 months due to the obligations on my job although I am still interested to solve this, especially how to change route of stairs depending on the type of the aircraft. But here I think Arno could help with the knowledge in VGDS and his DLL - I really would like to know this in a more detail and how DLL is communicating with scenery and the aircraft.
Otherwise, frame rate in Oliver's scenery is poor because it uses old FS2000- techniques to create scenery, mainly old instructions (non floating point).
When I switched from non floating point to floating point instructions in my LJLJ scenery, I got some fps immidieately and when I put all the objects in library I got some more and resulting gain of 10-15 fps on my old Athlon 1700, GF3. Right now with AMD64 3200, it all flies :)

Best regards,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Gorchi said:
The way Oliver made this utility is a mistery to me. Frankly I don't have any more spare time since last 4-5 months due to the obligations on my job although I am still interested to solve this, especially how to change route of stairs depending on the type of the aircraft. But here I think Arno could help with the knowledge in VGDS and his DLL - I really would like to know this in a more detail and how DLL is communicating with scenery and the aircraft.

The utility of Oliver I don't know what it does either. But I can imagine that by chaging a few bytes of the BGL file with such a tool that you can set conditions etc. Could be that he is still using a different approach of course :).

As you might have seen on the frontpage ActiGate has started beta testing now .So hopefully I can release the DLL with a SDK for scenery designers soon.

Gorchi said:
Otherwise, frame rate in Oliver's scenery is poor because it uses old FS2000- techniques to create scenery, mainly old instructions (non floating point).

And besides these techniques, don't forget that extra detail always means less framerates. You can't expect the have all small details and still get a better framerate then the default scenery.