1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmin G1000 with AP; question; FLC

Discussion in 'General chat' started by lionheart, 24/6/12.

1. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Hey all,

There is a button called an FLC on the AP equipped version of the Garmin G1000 MFD screen/bazel.

The most I could find online is that its called a Flight Level Change 'mode' selector.

Can someone explain this to me? Does it just set up a preferred climbout and descent?

My two Garmin G1000 PDF manuals do not have the AP version Bazels and data.

Many thanks,

Bill
    LHC
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    From the G1000 manual for their GFC700 Automatic Flight Control System:

Obviously, since there is no form of automatic speed control, maintaining a (fairly) consistent speed must be done by varying the rate of climb (vertical speed) via a PID control algorithim.

The only way I've been able to replicate this in FS has been to set a new "target altitude" then initiate a climb (or descent) and vary the vertical speed such that the current speed is maintained as closely as possible.
  3. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Many thanks Bill.

The Diamond does not have speed control on the DA40. If the system 'were' available on the Diamond, it would have to use flaps and trim quite a bit, but only on descents. It would stall the bird on climbs, or come close, as it has no way to throttle the engine.

I'll make it inop. That only makes sense. If I did make it 'operational', I would have speed control on the engine, and that isnt very realistic. It would be slick, but not right. :(

Thanks again.

Bill
  4. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    I just told you that it is indeed possible to do, and do it just like the real autopilot's FLC function works on any G1000/GFC700 equipped aircraft...

...such as the SR22 GSTX, DA-42, DA-20, etc.

To initiate a climb with FLC the pilot would first set the new target altitude, increase power to climb, then engage the FLC mode.

The autopilot's computer would then initiate a climb to the new target altitude, and make adjustments to the elevator trim to maintain the current speed. If the speed increases, the pitch will increase slightly. If the speed drops, the pitch will decrease slightly.

The FLC makes absolutely no other changes to the flight surfaces.
  5. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    FLC or Flight Level Change is an autopilot mode that maintains a speed by controlling pitch. It doesn't touch throttles at all.
  6. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Many thanks guys.

Bill