1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generic building construction tool

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by JonPatch, 1/5/05.

1. JonPatch

JonPatch

ca-britishcolumbia
    Hi Folks,

Is there a tool that makes creating generic buildings a little easier? With previews of available textures, and preview of the resulting building?

Jon
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Jon,

Have you tried a tool like SceneGenX? I think it contains some preview pictures, etc.

And it is also something that is on the feature request list for ObPlacer XML. But I guess I will not be able to implement it really soon.
  3. JonPatch

JonPatch

ca-britishcolumbia
    Hmmm, it's been a while since I tried SceneGenX, it's true. I remember I wasn't very happy with it, but I don't recall why!!

Perhaps I'll give it another try . . . meantime anyone else know of any program that does this?

Jon
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    I must say that I am not really a big fan of the SGX interface either. But the choice in tool that generate XML scenery is not that big. So I can't think of many other tools that allow generic buildings.
  5. JonPatch

JonPatch

ca-britishcolumbia
    So I dusted off my copy of SGX, and it does have a generic building "construction" screen, and it has a little bit of advantage over hand coding: you can see a schematic layout of the relative positions of the buildings, and there is a cool preview of the textures. But the glitchy UI is a problem, and regardless SGX doesn't show the result so there is no preview. So I may just go back to hand coding; I think it'll be quicker and less error prone to just code the XML, copying and pasting as needed.

(By glitchy UI: no undo (OMG), clicking on an object to select it may unintentially move it (sometimes), every time a parameter screen is opened settings go to the same default parameters and must be adjusted each time, and a myriad of other challenges.)

<rant>In general, I've found that many tool developers emphasize functionality ahead of a standardized glitch-free UI. A great example of professional quality software is AFCAD2. </rant>

Hmmm: That statement sounds ungracious by itself: I do appreciate and acknowledge the effort that's gone into tools like SGX, and how useful it may be to many people. My request is that developers spend just a bit more time on the UI; it will save users much effort.

Jon
    Last edited: 2/5/05