1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gimp 2.8

Discussion in 'General chat' started by arno, 7/5/12.

1. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
  2. Frits

Frits

southafrica
  3. Gerbrand De Laender

Gerbrand De Laender

belgium
    Great news! I find GIMP one of the best programs I ever used :D
  4. DXtrans

DXtrans

us-idaho
    The single window feature is a nice touch
  5. robystar

robystar

I uninstalled v2.8 because the save function now saves the texture to a Gimp format. When e.g. using DXTBMP you may want to send your texture to the editor (GIMP), make some changes or add an alpha channel and reload. With the new version that has now become virtually impossible because you would now first have to export your texture to get it in the right format and you can no longer directly update your image.
  6. arno

netherlands
    That's a bit annoying indeed. But I always save my textures to file first (usually as PSD files) and then process them with ImageTool. I never open them directly from another tool.

Would it not work to instead of save, export them to the same filename again? Or does DXTBMP not understand that?
  7. robystar

robystar

Hi Arno,

Problem is that I cannot export from GIMP2.8 to the DDS format either.
  8. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona

Rats.... I was ready to try this out, but that is a primary work direction for me with Photoshop 6.0, being able to open/save directly with PS.

I wonder if the Gimp team could be let known about this and perhaps an update could be done that would allow it?

Looks like an awesome program. I just looked at that webpage Arno. Man, it has come a long ways....

Bill
  9. arno

netherlands
    It seems there is a DDS plugin, I have not tried it yet though.
  10. EdGeneer

EdGeneer

unitedstates
    I am less familiar with GIMP, but the new version looks nice, and the DDS plugin loads, but I cannot get it to save DDS, and it loads DDS images non flipped, so I don't know if it is not a cool plugin, or the latter is more true; I don't know what I am doing (ie, operator error)...
  11. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Can anyone confirm that this new version has fixed the bug that prevents opening 32bit tiff files? (i.e. DTM tiffs)
  12. arno

netherlands
    That flipping is not weird. If you save DDS files from Photoshop you also need to flip them yourself. Only ImageTool does it automatically.

Although it involves an extra tool, I always prefer to use ImageTool to make my DDS files.
  13. hairyspin

hairyspin Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    This might explain a thing or two:-

(from the OP's link)
  14. EdGeneer

EdGeneer

unitedstates
    The Nvidia *.dds plugin flips it in and out of photoshop nicely, AND has alot of options to choose from when exporting. (including mipmaps, etc)

I have PS7 and it work with that as well as later versions up to current.

took me a second or three to get the setting correct, cuz there are so darn many of them, but that was because I didnt know what half of them were, not being used to that much flexibility...

I HAVE read some forum posts regarding 'who' converts 32bit to DXT5 better, some say DXTBmp over imagetool has a better look to the downgrade, but I personally havent done the test myself, so apparently, some prefer one program over the other for the conversion... but PS does work nicely with the Nvidia plugin....