1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSXA gimp question

Discussion in 'General chat' started by jyarddog, 1 Feb 2014.

1. jyarddog

jyarddog

us-washington
    Does Gimp have a folder where one can add plug=-ins? If so..... where?

2. kevintampa5

kevintampa5

unitedstates
    It does . Let me see...

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GIMP/Installing_Plugins#Copying_the_plugin_to_the_GIMP_plugin_directory

Havent added plugins in over a year. almost forgot how to do it lol

If you dont see the plugins folder, you can make one named "plug-ins" but it should be under lib.

C:\Program Files (x86)\gnome\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
    I switched to gimpshop so i cant confirm the directory is 100% but it should be almost the same as above

If using GimPhoto or GimpShop, it should be similar.

Gimpshop it is C:\Program Files (x86)\GimpShop\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Last edited: 2 Feb 2014
  3. jyarddog

jyarddog

us-washington
    Thanx. I have a friend of mine who uses Gimp. I wanted to have him get Metrix - a free plug-in and see if it will work in Gimp. Bob

4. kevintampa5

kevintampa5

unitedstates
    what is metrix? never heard of it. If i did i forgot.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2014
  5. jyarddog

jyarddog

us-washington
    http://www.jnrubin.net/psi/

This is a neat little plug in. It samples a color and transfers it. A bit easier to use - I think - than color replacer tools etc. Anyway- a dandy little tool. Free.

It has a yearly timer on it. Some time in January each year it stops working and you have to go back to his website to re download. Not much of a hassle. You can share with people but Josh asks that you get it from the site instead .... as a courtesy.

Basically (you can use just one bmp if you want to but) open two bmps. Let's say or your photoreal and another one which might be for fall or spring (screenshot template). Call this template pic A and the bmp pic B.

In your paint program.... open up both A and B. choose select (the little marching ants square or lasso ) on pic A and select a portion of it for the basic color you are looking for. Now call up Metrix (in PSP I choose -effects- plug ins- Metrix) - make sure to click analyze and then ok. The marching ants freeze momentarily then start marching again. done. NOW - go to Pic B and choose... perhaps.... lasso with edge finder an draw around where you want to make color changes, double click to close the edge finder poly. find Metrix again and make sure you choose 'apply' this time, click ok. Wait a sec and the change is made, and done very nicely. I've used magic wand in the past but it kind of leave a mottled look and you have to mess with tolerance too much.

Give it a try. Let me know if it works in Gimp. it does work in many Photoshop versions, and PSP and the older Jasc psp. Bob

6. kevintampa5

kevintampa5

unitedstates
    ill have to give it a whiz. i could have used this about a week ago but suffered doing it by hand. lol
    the plugin for photoshop works for gimp?
    dumb question lol

7. jyarddog

jyarddog

us-washington
    What chu doin' here when the game is about to start? My excuse is we only have Netflix right now- seeing as how we spent 99% of our tv time on Netflix and not cable so we dumped cable. :( Oh well.

Yeah- see if Metrix works in Gimp. If it does... wonderful. Bob (BTW- I gave better instructions on how to than Josh does. ) <--- cuz I am sooooo good- you all may kiss my ring now! Bwahahahaha. I'll take a pizza and a 6 pack and a 3 day vacation, thank yooooo! :) bob

8. kevintampa5

kevintampa5

unitedstates
    Im sure there are 'alternate' ways of waching the broncos' whoop up on some Seahawks.

I know what Im having for dinner, a seahawk and a beer! :coffee: They will be done shortly :teacher:
    Where did the beer mug go? or am i confusing with another forum?

9. Heretic

Heretic Resource contributor

germany
    *Ahem*...;)
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/gimp-and-metrix.425032/

But never fear!
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.graphics.apps.gimp/2zL3JFsmNa0

10. kevintampa5

kevintampa5

unitedstates
    i guess i did know, just forgot since i was involved in that post. It does not work with pdn though.:confused:

11. jyarddog

jyarddog

us-washington
    wonderful. Missed it when reading last time. Bob