1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global mapper question

Discussion in 'Ground2k4, SBuilder, SBuilderX' started by barry00374, 18/6/07.

1. barry00374

barry00374

netherlands
    Hi Guys,

I've just in the passed the Photo Scenery maker to build photo realistic scenery's. I've read that Global mapper can do the job verry easy.

I just downloaded and installed Global Mapper 8.03.

Can someone explain step by step how to build a photo realistic scenery?

It's for FS9, and I downloaded the images from microsofts LIVE website, so by putting them all behind each other, i'm now having a square image of say 5km in square, saved as a BMP file.

How to move on to build texture files and a BGL file?

Thanks!!!
  2. bob5568

bob5568

Global mapper is a GIS applicaton (Geographic information). Its not a scenery application.

It is quite helpful to designers of photoreal scenery, but only in that it allows you to convert your source image to the proper projection and datum, and it makes it very easy to georeference the image.

If you have a geotiff image in wgs84 geographic projection, than global mapper would be of no use to you.

To make scenery using the image you follow the sdk, writing an inf file and running the sdk utility "resample.exe".

Bob
  3. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    There are 4 general methods of building photo scenery in FS9. Two of these rely on the terrain system, and two on 3d object system.

In the terrain methods, the two techniques are

1. Use the resample tool to create photo tiles which replace the landclass tiles. These tiles cover LOD13 squares exactly. Thus, your source data must also cover 1 or more LOD13 areas exactly.

2. Use SCASM or BGLC tool to create vector polygons, using custom textures constructed from your source data. These polygons can cover arbitrary areas, including an entire LOD13. These polygons coexist with other landclass within a LOD13 area.

With either of these methods, the target resolution is about 4.8 meters per pixel. Resample can fix this for you, or you can use Global Mapper to do it when you export your raster data. Of course, you need to convert degrees to meters to compute the required resolution in degrees.

One method of ensuring your GM data cover the right LOD13 areas, would be to use the digitizer tool to create the LOD13 grid. It's kind of time consuming, unless you work from the math and generate the points and then import them. (I admit I am too lazy to do this.) It's probably best to use a rectangular grid of LOD13 areas, rather than jumping around. that will make exporting the raster data easier.

When exporting your data from GM, I suggest you set the resolution and set the geo cooordinates for the export area. Also save a "world" file when you export. I recommend exporting as GeoTiff (but keep the world file too). With the GeoTiff, you need to convert to 24 bit bmp with an appropriate graphics program (I think the free MS "paint" works, but I use open source GIMP).

I suggest getting the TerraBuilder Lite program to process your source data. It's basically a front end to resample, so you don't have to put the inf file together yourself.

The alternative is the custom texture vector polygon approach. I suggest installing SBuilder 2.05 R6 for this. From the standpoint of GM, it is the same. You just use the bmp file you created as a "photo map" in Sbuilder.

If you are interested in seasons, night, and water masking, take a look at the custom terrain SDK on how to set up your source data. GM can't really do much to help here: you need some graphics app -- that's where GIMP or PhotoShop come in.

scott s.
  4. barry00374

barry00374

netherlands
    Ok guys, thanks for the feedback.
    I will keep it all in mind, and see what I can do.

Again, many thanks!