1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P3D v4 GP and custom ground lines

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Gerald Krutsch, 10 Sep 2017.

1. Gerald Krutsch

Gerald Krutsch

germany
    Hi there,

I'm home :laughing:.

Attached my entire compiled folder. Inside you will see 3 folders: "ADE_GP Textures" (this was created in the project folder), "Scenery" (all BGL) and "texture" (where I copied the same files from ADE_GP Textures" folder).
    To your Q:
    - Win10 / DX12 (revision?)
    - MSI GTX 970 / 384.94 (didn't work with other drivers also)
    - "Fake" 4096 ;)
    - V4 installed on dedicated SSD / FSIM Add-Ons on another dedicated SSD
    - W10 was installed clean 1 week ago when I reinstalled P3D v4 (AS THE ONLY SIM ON MY PC!!!)

Regards,
    Gerald

Attached Files:

2. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Gerard:

IIUC, you refer to NVidia driver revision 384.94 as your current driver in use ?

Also, you indicate the P3Dv4 MDL-based GPs did not display with that version, or other NVidia driver versions for that graphics card ?

Additionally, you understand that Windows-10 will automatically "switch" the DX sub-system mode to run P3Dv4 in LM's required DirectX-11 mode ?

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements

BTW
    : Regarding VRAM capacity for your graphics card, what do you mean by: "Fake 4096" ? :scratchch

http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-GTX-970-card-687.html

Thanks in advance for your reply to these questions. :)

GaryGB

3. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi All:

FYI: There is a "anecdotal report" posted earlier this afternoon (Chicago time) of achieving (satisfactory ?) display of MDL-based GPs in P3Dv4 via both ADE v1.70x GP feature and also via use of the MCX version of August 20, 2017 ...here: :idea:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...onger-transition-smoothly.441000/#post-780918

As with all computers having different hardware / drivers / Windows, and P3Dv4, "test this for yourselves", and your results may vary. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited: 13 Sep 2017
  4. Gerald Krutsch

Gerald Krutsch

germany
    Hi Gary,

below my answers:

Yes! This is the latest Microsoft certified driver from nVidia (which came with the new clean W10 install) and is curently in use!
    Prior to the clean OS install I had an erlyer version (which ran well with FSX:SE but can't remember the version) and also the latest one 385.41.

Yes but installing DX12 from MS will pull all other version also due to DX backwards compatibility. Since I currently clean installed my OS, I would say I have the latest DX "revisions" on my system. Also, I have no idea how too look for the DX "revisions". DxDiag only shows the latest supported DX version which is DX12.

This was one of the biggest scandals in nVidia's history. The 970 cards were (and are) promoted with 4Gb of VRAM but only 3,5Gb are accessed at full speed. The rest of 0,5Gb is used by nVidia to do whathever (can't remember if the buffer something or else...). So if you get in that area, you will get massive performace drop and stutters. Therefore 970 users have to always stay below 3,5Gb -> ergo FAKE 4Gb ;).

5. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Gerald:

DxDiag reports the newest maximum DirectX version which Windows is currently able to utilize; internally, however, at run time, when necessary, the OS uses code to operate applications / simulations / games etc. that only support / utilize 'prior' versions of DirectX (ex: FSX / P3Dv1.4x: DirectX-9.0c; P3Dv 2.x / 3.x: DirectX-10 or 11).

That is just an incidental technicality regarding what actually goes on "under the hood", and is not important for most folks to know. ;)

Thanks for the reply regarding the other info posted above; IMHO, we may now conclude that you have a computer system fully DirectX-11 compliant as required by P3Dv4.

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements

So we'll provisionally eliminate any possibility of that playing a contributory role in your ability to display GPs generated via the current "build" of the ADE v1.75x GP feature set. :pushpin:

[EDITED]

Regarding a "work-around" for your LRTR project to get a prompt update out to your end-users of the freeware airport downloadable via ex: AVSIM, you can import the ADE GP BGL file:

[LRTR-Update 2-0 install path]\LRTR-Update 2-0\Scenery\LRTR-Update 2-0_GP.bgl

...into Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") via the G-Poly Wizard:

1.) MCX Menu > Wizards > Ground Polygon Wizard... < Ground Polygon Wizard dialog opens >

2.) In Ground Polygon Wizard dialog:

a.) Click [...] button to 'Select file to Convert' > browse / select: LRTR-Update 2-0_GP.bgl; click [Open] button

b.) Click [...] button > 'Select output BGL file' > browse / select: LRTR-Update 2-0_GP.bgl

NOTE: Rename LRTR-Update 2-0_GP.bgl ...to ex: LRTR-Update 2-0_GP_MCX.bgl; click [Save] button

c.) 'Check' checkbox: "Project flat polygons on ground using normal tolerance: 0.990"

d.) 'Check' checkbox: "Filter out non-ground polygons"

e.) 'Tick' radio button: "P3D v4"

f.) 'Check' checkbox: "Slice Polygons (100 Meter)"

g.) 'Check' checkbox: "Optimize Reference Point location"

h.) Configure Position as necessary for placement

i.) Configure Texture info as necessary for Seasonal / Night (aka "_LM") display

NOTE: Textures mapped to LRTR-Update 2-0_GP are *.BMP and can be used as is; if *.DDS preferred:

j.) 'Check' checkbox: "Convert Textures"

(1) Click [...] button to 'Select file to Convert' > browse / select:

[LRTR-Update 2-0 install path]\LRTR-Update 2-0\Texture sub-folder name; click [OK]

< To be continued; cannot find a [Convert] button to process via this Wizard in the 12-09-2017 MCX version ! :yikes: >

"Help me 'Arno-Wan Kenobe' ...you're my only hope !" :wizard:

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited: 14 Sep 2017
  6. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    I changed the way coordinates are entered in the GPW recently. But that should not have broken the convert button. I'll check when I'm behind my pc.

7. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Thanks Arno ! :)

PS: I just checked the 17-08-2017 MCX version of the G-Poly Wizard, and it has [LOD] and [Convert] buttons.

Looks like the dialog got "cut off" in the 12-09-2017 MCX version of the G-Poly Wizard". :oops:

GaryGB

8. robystar

robystar

Sorry, Gary, that is not the correct procedure as far as I am concerned. it has nothing to do with DX 10 or 11 or 12.
    You import your ADE_GP.bgl into MCX, merge all the sub .asm based FS9 type mdl's, add FSX material properties and export them as a single P3D mdl.
    Then import that one again in MCX using the GPW and assign negative layers to your various GP textures.
    Don may have found a shortcut but I cannot find a way to do it right his way (my problem probably:().

9. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Roby:

Personally, I use ultra high-resolution synthetically-enhanced custom aerial imagery land class, so no G-Polys for me in FSX (...and I do not 'yet' have P3D ...any version, so no need for MDL-based GPs on my MSFS system).

I intended the above 'mini-tutorial' as a very basic "worked example" of MCX work-flow using the "Test GP" that Gerald posted here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/gp-and-custom-ground-lines.440977/page-3#post-780914

However, I would be quite interested in seeing a more detailed explanation of the work-flow you allude to in your quoted post above ! ;)

GaryGB

10. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Arno:

I just ran the 17-08-2017 MCX version of the G-Poly Wizard over a LAN, and it does have [Define LODs...] and [Convert] buttons. o_O

Am I missing a Windows run time DLL or a config file on the 'other' computer, that the latest development version of MCX requires ? :confused:

GaryGB

11. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Ya' see Gerald: We all learn something from ("civil") discussion threads in the public forums ...EVERYONE !!!

< No, I'm not Gary Oldman either ! > :rotfl:

12. robystar

robystar

Aren't we off topic???
    If we are not then I will add some more comments because what the OP is asking for is why what he did with ADE +its GP editor for FSX-SE is not working in P3Dv4. And that can have a lot of causes.

13. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    Creeping off topic.......................

14. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Roby:

While it is true that Gerald stated:

...In our original PM on this troubleshooting scenario wherein I insisted that it be discussed in the public forums, I also offered to participate in the subsequent thread I compelled him to start.

I felt it was my ethical responsibility to at least provide an alternate work-flow (READ: work-around) for Gerald to use in order to fulfill his goal of producing a P3Dv4 GP for his end users for the LRTR scenery ASAP.

The importance of doing so became more apparent to me after seeing these statements from Don and Jon regarding the status of the ADEv175x build of the GP feature set:

I'm still waiting to see what may- or may not- be done on Gerald's behalf via Don and/or Jon with his *.AD4 file.

At this juncture, AFAIK Don was working on Terrain Sculptor Pro, and preparing to be away for an extended period of time, but we have seen no reply from Jon thus far regarding this troubleshooting scenario.

Perhaps there is one or more pertinent PM discussions taking place with-or without- Gerald's participation ? :rolleyes:

Regardless, I have made my offer of assistance with a 'work-around' here on behalf of Gerald, his end users, and others who may wish to use his scenery in P3Dv4. :duck:

And I'd still welcome seeing your work-flow for making G-Polys either here ...or elsewhere in the forums. :)

PS: Probably elsewhere, as we wouldn't want to burden Gerald with having to do any "voodoo". :laughing:

GaryGB

15. arno

netherlands
    The form got larger, what screen resolution are you using?

16. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
  17. arno

netherlands
    The form is 616 pixels in height, so that should fit. I just checked here, but I see all the buttons. Maybe double check if you haven't resized the form and by accident moved them of screen? Else show a screenshot of what you see.

18. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Arno:

Screenshot attached is from the computer with a MCX 12-09-2017 G-Poly Wizard display issue.

[​IMG]

Windows-7 64-Bit Display settings for screen fonts is: "Smaller - 100% (default)" non-scaled

[​IMG]

GaryGB

Last edited: 15 Sep 2017
  19. arno

netherlands
    Just grab the bottom of the form and pull it down to make the form bigger. I'm sure the buttons will appear then.

I don't understand yet why your default size is incorrect, I need to check the code for that.

20. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Just to try and get this thread back on topic, as I reported above, the problem appears to be related to Gerald's .ad4 file. It does not affect any of my (6) airports nor has anyone else (to my knowledge) reported such symptoms. Consequently, while the underlying problem may reside in the sim or the compiler, the trigger is unlikely to be anything other than an idiosyncrasy in the .ad4 file and/or ADE's processing of it. And, the problem is unlikely to be hardware-related.

As for what Don and Jon are doing to help Gerald, Don has done all he is able to do (for the moment) and, I'm sure, Jon is investigating. Perhaps he should be given a chance to complete that investigation.

Roby (and anyone else who thinks ADE-GPs output must be submitted to MCX prior to going to the sim), ADE generates fully-PV4-compliant ground polys including the Z-bias offset. You don't have to add the z-bias manually; check the MAT3 blocks in the _GP.bgl files and you'll see it's already there.

And, before somebody else goes off on a tangent, PV3/4 GPs can use .bmp textures. (I appreciate .dds textures are a little more efficient in FSX/P3D.) The base GP textures supplied with ADE are in .bmp (DXT1/3) fomat.. Anyone who wants .dds files can convert those base textures. ADE-GP gives priority to .dds textures when compiling for FSX/P3D.

Don