1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX Ground effects

Discussion in 'Mission Development' started by amahran, 22/5/11.

1. amahran

amahran

This might be an interesting question.

I was watching the film "The Langoliers," and it seemed to be a good film to base a mission on, but there are some things I want to know first.

Is it possible to make the ground fall away? (e.g make certain segments of the runway crack and fall off)
    Is it possible to make the ground cease to exist? (e.g Black empty space under the aircraft. No ground, no nothing)
    Is it possible to make animated objects follow the aircraft in it's wake (So if the aircraft turns, the object also turns.
    Is it possible to create a time-lapse? So, for example, if the passengers are in the terminal for a few hours, the time appears to change by the effect of a view camera (Such as the one in the beginning of "Midwest fly-in")
    Is it possible to lock display settings?
    Is it possible to change display settings in the middle of the mission to what I desire rather than what the user desires? (e.g in midflight, all airtraffic disappears when commanded)

And those are all my questions in relation to mission building with respect to The Langoliers.
    If that's possible, the mission should be creatable
    If anything is impossible, well...I'll try another horror film :rolleyes:
  2. Qwseyvnd

Qwseyvnd

norway
    I will try to answer!
    Is it possible to make the ground fall away? (e.g :make certain segments of the runway crack and fall off): I do not know exactly.

Is it possible to make the ground cease to exist? (e.g Black empty space under the aircraft. No ground, no nothing)

Is it possible to make animated objects follow the aircraft in it's wake (So if the aircraft turns, the object also turns.

Yes, it should be possible through C++ gauge, so the object is attached to the gauge. Put it in your favorite aircraft.

Is it possible to create a time-lapse? So, for example, if the passengers are in the terminal for a few hours, the time appears to change by the effect of a view camera (Such as the one in the beginning of "Midwest fly-in"). You can try to find out how to do it.

Is it possible to lock display settings? I think it is not possible.

Is it possible to change display settings in the middle of the mission to what I desire rather than what the user desires? (e.g in midflight, all airtraffic disappears when commanded). Yes, it should be possible through SimConnect.
  3. atorque

atorque

unitedkingdom
    Is it possible to make the ground fall away? (e.g make certain segments of the runway crack and fall off)
    It should be possible if you actually model the ground that needs to fall away. Then make another model of the ground falling away. Then use the change object command inside the mission. Something of this nature was used for the dambusters mission.

If you made a really deep hole in the ground...then yes...just make the hole miles deep. Easily done with a flattening poly inside sbuilder.

It should be possible if you are a programmer and you understand how to make the program you have written communicate with flightsim via simconnect.

Is it possible to create a time-lapse? So, for example, if the passengers are in the terminal for a few hours, the time appears to change by the effect of a view camera (Such as the one in the beginning of "Midwest fly-in")
    I believe all things are possible for programmers.

Is it possible to lock display settings?
    See previous reply.

Is it possible to change display settings in the middle of the mission to what I desire rather than what the user desires? (e.g in midflight, all airtraffic disappears when commanded)
    See previous reply.

In conclusion, your mission will be a clustermine of difficulties. The questions lead me to believe that you have no mission creation experience. If you are patient enough and learn a ton, it might be possible to achieve the desired effect, but ask yourself this. Is the mission worth all the work being put into it considering I gain nothing from it and other people care very little about missions in general. I have found over years of mission making that people dont care about mission, they will complain regardless of how good the mission is. If you create the mission for your own pleasure, you will find that hours of work and testing lead you to know every detail about your mission...not fun if you know exactly what to expect.

Good luck.