1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! FXPlanner BGL causes FSX to crash

Discussion in 'FSX Planner' started by lordofwings, 31/8/07.

1. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    I have a very simple airport with the following (R23):

- One runway (17/35)
    - Two start points (properly configured for the appropriate runway)
    - One apron at the end of the runway
    - A windsock
    - A small fuel station near the apron

Originally I had some errors that were brought up by the fantastic error checker (something sceneGenX never brought up!). So I fixed them.

Then I compiled the error-free (the checking) but it failed. I noticed a bunch of weird errors about apron and runway being X meters away from ARP (what the heck is ARP?). The compilation (not the error checker) indicated that my windsock length was too small.

I went back and fixed all the issues. Ran the error checker and it came out clean. Then I ran the BGL compiler and it succeeded. This time it did not show any compiling errors.

Because I run in a restricted environment I used a DOS window with Admin rights to copy from my restricted account directory to the Add-on Scenery directory (only Admin can put things there).

Subsequently I ran FSX, It detected the new scenery and rebuilt its scenery database. I loaded my default flight that is just above the islands near the airport I am building (there is no airport there in FS9/FSX but there is in real life).

And then while the flight is loading the whole FSX (SP1 with SDK SP1A) crashes. I get the typical Windows dialog "An error has been detected and the application needs to close, we are sorry. Debug / Close".

If I remove the BGL file generated by FSX Planner then my default flight loads just fine.

I was having the same problem when I compiled it with ScenGenX. The path to the FSX SDK is properly configured too.

What is wrong?
  2. rf360m

rf360m

My guesss is that is has something to do with introducing a brand new airport into FSX. It could be that the airport altitude doesn't match the terrain altitude exactly or something like that. However, there are people on this forum who probably can better pinpoint what could cause this than I.

The ARP is the airport reference point. This is the lat/lon coordinate that you specify for the center of the airport. Then there is the airport test radius, which is 5,000 meters by default. The compiler lets you know if an object is more than 5,000 meters (or whatever the test radius is) from the ARP. If it is you get a warning.

-Russell
  3. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    My airport is new, so it has never been in FSX. I did install a third party FSX mesh (Terra Brasilia).

However, I do have underlying scenery (the islands) that I created myself and work fine. In one of this islands (where the airport is) I have created both a FLATTEN to 33' and a AIRFIELD polygon (both the same vertices).

So, in principle the area is already flattened to the proper altitude. However it is not clear to me how FSX goes about sorting which goes first, the scenery (underlying islands) BGL or the Airport Facility BGL (that sits on one of the islands).

I will have to make an experiment by creating first a dir with the scenery and then another dir in the list but 2nd in priority with the airport to make sure the airport is put on top of the island.

NOTE: A few hours later I managed to do that experiment. As soon as FSX is within sight of the area where the airport was deployed the simulator crashes. It is always the same error g3d.dll
    Last edited: 31/8/07
  4. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    If you attach a zipped BGL, someone might be able to load and examine the airport...

Dick
  5. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I have seen this with scrambled aprons. Check that the vertex list is not causing edges to cross each other
  6. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    Nope, there are no overlaping edges that I can see. Here is the BGL of the airport. Hopefully somebody can try it.

The airport is in PANAMA and is named "Contadora Island" only GA planes for this runway. I have also included the XML file used to generate this.
    Last edited: 7/9/07
  7. rhumbaflappy

us-wisconsin
    I had thought there was a problem with the tower view... not true in this compilation.

There is a problem with the parking areas. I'm not that well versed here, but it seems that the "Clean Up All" option removes these, and the BGL then is OK.

I'm not that well versed here, but it seems the parking areas need taxiway paths, and path types that indicate parking. That's why the cleaning function removes your parking areas.

Load a default airport, and you'll see the taxiway paths lead to the parking spots. ( Try loading the default c59 ... my hometown airport ).

Dick
  8. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    That is correct. A parking spot needs to be connected to the network, it needs a link of type parking and the end node must be the parking spot
  9. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    So, I should have a parking spot on one end then a taxiway path along the apron leading the the runway start and that is all? Neither the Erroc Checking nor the compiler gave me any indication that was wrong.

What I did not see in any of these two posts of you guys is whether you loaded the BGL in FS and managed to see the airport without FSX crashing on you?
  10. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    Added taxi spots and then connected them with taxiways leading to a holding short point (not drawn) at the edge of the runway. These are my findings:

1. The error checker always complains about the tower, it is never happy with it no matter what you do. Other than that it compiles fine.

2. I can finally see my airport when flying to it, yeehaaa!!! but...

3. The underlying scenery (a different BGL with higher priority) has a polygon with EXCLUSION and then same polygon with AIRFIELD1. Then this same polygon vertices I use in my airport BGL (with FSX Planner) as the boundary fence. In spite of that exclusion I see some trees in my runway!!!! why is that? what else do I need to do?

4. I can chose the airport as departure. If I chose active runway all is ok except you can't take off because of the trees. But if I choose ANY of the three parking spots then FSX crashes. What else needs to be done for that to work?

Thanks 4 the help. I love this tool.
  11. Difar

Difar

us-ohio
    Where are you placing your bgl files in FSX?
    I suggest if you are not placing them in a seperate folder, do so (...Addon Scenery\Panama\Scenery)

What program are you using to exlude? And are you exluding all objects? I use Excbuilder, but you can just as easy create your own bgl file.

Where are your placing your flatten specs? Scenery config file? Creating a bgl file? I find that placing the info in the Scenery config file best. But, some people may be, shall we say... wary, about this method.

Start with the basics first. Make sure you have a flattened area, no trees or scenery in it. Then as Scruffy said, make sure your scenery is not scrambled, but smooth as a Spanish omlet.

Oh, by the way, I lived in the Canal Zone for 6 years, spent many days on the Pearls, some I can't even remember.:D

Dave
  12. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    Hello Dave,
    Thansk for the response. Here my answers and comments as I start a new days of FSX Planner trials :)

My scenery is made of two parts: the general island scenery completely remade with FSX_KML that includes the airport exclusion AND flatten, and the airport stuff created with FSX Planner. Basically it is as follows:

A) Third party mesh: FSX_MeSA_A02.BGL and FSX_MeSA_B02.BGL
    B) Islands remake: PA-Perlas.BGL, PA-Perlas-Objects.BGL (FSX_KML)
    C) PA-Contadora.BGL (FSX Planner)

Originally I had all of them in AddOn Scenery\Panama\scenery because that directory was already in my scenery configuration. I was getting crash problems (still do) so I splitted it as follows:

I let (A) and (B) in that Panama\scenery folder which has priority 1 in the scenery. Then I created a new folder Panama\Contadora\scenery where I placed (C), I then added Panama\Contadora as #2 in the scenery configuration so that the islands and their objects are created first.

As I mentioned the island scenery (B) has an EXCLUDE ALL with the size of the QMID 5, then it rebuilds all the enclosed islands (a lot of work gone there). Then it has a polygon (let's name it P1) with Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten and then P2 with the same vertices as P1 but tagged as Landclass_Airfield1.

Then in FSX Planner I used a polygon P3 with exactly the same vertices as P1/P2 and used it as Airport Fence.

Yet with all that trees are on the way. I just can't explain that because AIRFIELD is not supposed AFAIK to put any trees and the EXCLUDE has already been done.

So you lived in the CZ! I will be migrating back home next year after 20+ years abroad. I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I saw the FSX scenery for Panama be so misbegotten, just plain horrible, apalling, an eye sore. So now I am taking the task upon myself although I know a guy out there doing the islands as well and some airports.

Any ideas about why FSX crashes when I start in a parking spot? it is not an "aircraft crashed" message, the whole FSX application crashes, sometimes gracefully, otherwise with a black screen with flurries and the sound of the aircraft running.
    Last edited: 1/9/07
  13. Lupo

Lupo

unitedstates
    crashing problem

Hi lordofwings,

I took your file and quick put in the bare minimum taxi-network the file needs to operate correctly. I tried it in FSX with out any additional files and it worked. Take a look at it. The taxi paths introduce some pavement artifacts at the 'runway 35' end but that is fixed by adjusting the paths, possibly adding more points.

Hope this helps,
    John

Attached Files:

14. Difar

Difar

us-ohio
    LoW

I am on vaction right now, but when I get back home I'll d/l your files (and John's) and take a look at it. Though it sounds as if John has a fix in place.

I sounds as though with your two poly's, your should not be seeing your trees. Though I have seen it before.

As for the crash, take a good look at your xml file (I use Cooktop) and make sure that your points are valid (should be fairly simple as there shouldn't be a whole lot of points, unless they have upgraded the airport in the past 10 years). Though you should get errors when compiling. Again I have seen weirder things.

Dave
  15. rhumbaflappy

us-wisconsin
    Hi all.

Taxiways are explained well here:

http://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/taxiways.cfm

Another good exercise is to load a small default airport into FSX Planner, and see how the Aces dealt with the structure... I recommend C59, my home airfield.

Dick
  16. xr219

xr219

unitedkingdom
    Its something to do with the way FSX Planner is saving the xml file.

If I take Bruntingthorpe which I've been playing with as an example, I've been trying to position the runway correctly to line up with the GenX scenery. All I have in FSXPlanner at the moment is the runway and the two start points.

The first time I save it the file size is 3.09KB. When I compile it, the bgl is 697 bytes. All good.

What happens afterwards appears to be intermitten, which doesn't help.

Sometimes, if I adjust, for example, the heading or any other element, I re save the xml and then recompile the bgl. Both files rise drasticly in size, to arround 700KB for example. If I edit again and follow the same process, the files increase in size again, this time up to a few MB, and so each time I save and recompile, the file sizes grow exponentialy. When this happens, the bgl's generated will crash the sim.

The best way to correct ir, is to close planer, start it back up (remembering to select run as administrator if your in Vista) open the large xml file, and then re save it with a different file name. The file size will have returned to normal. Close planner again and re open it, this time opening the new smaller file. Re compile and bingo.
  17. rf360m

rf360m

18. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    With regard to the trees on the runway, consider using Airport_Flatten_MaskClassmap_ExcludeAutogen tag for your airport surround

I suspect the trees are autogen, are they not?

CTD (crash to desktop) may be caused by a number of things - for example I had to ditch a perfectly good Nvidia 7900GTO card because of CTD due to texture rich scenery. Forced me to upgrade to an 8800GTX. Is there something very detailed in front of the parking spots that (when attempting to render crashes things - does it aways happen when you start / or soon after?

If you taxi to the parking spot will it crash?
    Last edited: 13/9/07
  19. xr219

xr219

unitedkingdom
  20. xr219

xr219

unitedkingdom
    Hi Russell... Its doing it again.... but I think it may have something to do with backgound images. When I did thefirst airport I was using the google earth image as per the instructions, but its slightly off kilter with the GenX scenery so I stopped using it. I'm now trying the same with EGAC and the xml file is now at 900+ KB.

I started off by opening the default EGAC and then editing it (I've only started so early days. The original defaul is only 78KB.

I've attached both, hope its of some help.:)

Attached Files: