1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HMS Ocean UV Mapping

Discussion in 'Other' started by StealthBloke, 21/9/09.

1. StealthBloke

StealthBloke

unitedkingdom
    Ok this is my 1st post so i'd like to start by saying hi to all :) Now onto business, i'am trying to model HMS Ocean which for those that don't know is a british helicopter landing platform ship. This is my 1st modelling attempt with 3D Studio Max(9) and have had no experience modelling before this so please be kind :) I am a fastish learner but have to say this uv mapping thing is giving me an absolute ball ache, i have followed a few vague tutorials but none of them seem to work or get me off to a start. As i understand it i should be breaking my model down into sections and then applying uv mapping to these parts and then apply uv unwrap modifiers to these parts also. I have been using the textures for the default aircraft carrier that ships with FSX:Acceleration as a rough guide as to which parts should be broken apart and how the texture maps should be arranged. My problem is how the hell do i get all these parts, for example the Hull parts onto one texture map? The most success i have had has been to apply a planar uv map to the side of the Hull and then in the uv unwrap edit tab rotate and scale it and then move into position, but as i said this is only one part :( i have posted some screens of my model so hopefully someone can give me an idea of where or how to start uv mapping this model, if it's possible at all :) any help or info would be very much appreciated. I'm wandering wether i have missed a couple of steps that should be completed before uv mapping. This model is not yet complete but need to get to grips with uv's before i go any further else there just won't be any point. Thanks in advance just for taking the time to read my dribble :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: 21/9/09
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Lovely model!

Essentially, the "secret" to mapping large objects such as your ship's hull is to use the power of Max/GMax to the fullest: Material ID numbers...

You see, you can quickly select groups of polygons and assign them to a specific MatID number. Although this tutorial of mine is for an aircraft fuselage, the principles and techniques described will work for any object... ;)

How to UVW Map Fuselage on 2 BMPS...
    http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1126473781
  3. BASys

BASys

scotland
    Hi Folks

StealthBloke -
    Nice work !

That's a lovely looking Ocean.

Although the MS default textures are nice,
    they wouldn't do justice to such an excellent model. :D

In case you've not seen these -
    You might be able to perspective correct
    some of the pics included at these sites -
    Royal Navy - HMS Ocean - Photo Gallery
    Google Images - HMS Ocean

Well worth driliing down on those google links for any of the image hosting sites.
    e.g. Flickr, picasaweb, imageshack, etc.
    Filckr User Album

Some very minor notes -
    Phalanx on the bow.
    Bridge wing is slightly different.

Look forward to seeing her in FSX.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul
    Last edited: 21/9/09
  4. StealthBloke

StealthBloke

unitedkingdom
    Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replys and comments they are well recieved :)

@n4gix - thanks for the link and the point in the right direction, i shall get on that and give it a try as soon as i get home from work, which cant be soon enough. I feel like a kid with a new toy to play with atm lol.

@BAsys - Thanks for the links and info but trust me i've been all over those sites for a while. Luckily this year it was navy days down at plymouth and i was lucky enough to go down. I got on Ocean twice and managed to grab some of my own up to date photos when not being distracted by the choppers flying about :) So yes i certainly need to do a touch of remodelling especially as the buggers took her in for refit not so long back and have changed her rear end :) I do intend to model the phanax properly to, i just stuck that silly white bit on the front for my own reference :)

again thankyou both for the replys and info, it will im sure be most helpful. I will post more screenshots soon if i have success, if not i'm sure i'll be back to pick your brains :)
  5. StealthBloke

StealthBloke

unitedkingdom
    New Screens

Hey guys

Checkout the showroom for more screens, that is where i shall post updates from now on. Still no textures n4gix but you solved my problem of getting the wireframe template views out in the correct scale/aspect ratio so a big thanks for that, im sure the texturing will make alot more sense now after reading your tutorial, once i get around to it that is :)

Cheers.
    Last edited: 8/10/09