1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I add generic buildings?

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Lorian, 13/4/08.

1. Lorian

Lorian

unitedkingdom
    Is there any way to add the generic buildings to your airport? I'm no 3D modeller and am happy enough using the generic buildings, better than nothing. I can only find a few airport building in the add library object menu.

Cheers.
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Not directly in this version but it is quite easy to do. It is possible to copy a generic building by selecting it and using Copy from the right Click Menu. After you have copied it you can paste it as many times as you like. Also this works between airports. Some of the guys are finding an nice generic building at one airport and copying it in ADE then loading the airport they are working on and pasting it. You can resize a generic building as well to make it bigger or smaller

ADE will handle new generic buildings in a later version

There are quite a lot of airport buildings that are library objects available from the Add > Library Object Menu. Look for control towers and hangars. As you say most terminal buildings seem to be either generic or autogenerated.
    Last edited: 13/4/08
  3. Lorian

Lorian

unitedkingdom
    Right I'll give that a shot then.

Cheers.
  4. Lorian

Lorian

unitedkingdom
    Ok I seem to have a problem. I have put in two library objects (the one with yellow backgrounds), one from the add object menu and one copied from a stock airport (a suitably shaped building from LFPG), but neither of them are showing up in FS. Oddly though the control tower is showing. Is there something I need to do to get them to show up?

Cheers.
  5. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    Lorian
    Check your density settings,
    those in ADE and FSX
    the ones you copied may be "VERY DENSE"
    you can change them to "NORMAL" or less
    most towers are set to "VERY SPARSE"
    so they will show

Ray
  6. Lorian

Lorian

unitedkingdom
    Already done that, got it set to maximum. The generic buildings (blue backgrounds) show up fine, it is just the library objects that don't show.
  7. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    not sure why the one you copied from LFPG does not show, I know some buildings are not able to be copied with my experiments so far and others are...........
    Are you talking of the Library objects in ADE?
    if so, not all of them are usable that show in the list
    Jon may be able to explain why
    as I've noticed some you can not use yet

Ray
  8. scruffyduck

wales
    It may be a geolocked building. That means it will only show at the airport it is intended for. I think if you copy the textures into the texture folder of the scenery area where you have the airport bgl file it may work

Ray you can copy any building from another airport but they may not show if they are geolocked.
  9. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    Yes i thought so Jon
    but i also noticed some of the "add library object"
    do not show as well, cant remember which ones
    i know all the cars and trucks do but not all of the buildings

Ray
  10. scruffyduck

wales
    Not seens any go missing here Ray :)
  11. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    OK, So where do I go to find generic buildings? I have used the Oject Placement Tool(maybe that answers my question), but that tool acts funny sometimes.

Bob
  12. scruffyduck

wales
    Generic buildings do not exist in any library. Unlike library objects that are a model (mdl) generic buildings are just pieces of xml that are compiled in the bgl file. Thus each generic building will have a separate piece of source xml to create it.

The place to start is to look at the stock airport you are working on before you change or remove anything (disable any ADE Bgl). Load the stock airport in ADE. Then have a slew around the airport in FSX - if you see any buildings you like the look of then you can make a copy in ADE and then paste it somewhere else. Going a bit further you could load any airport in ADE and FSX and find any generic building you like the look of. Copy it in ADE, then load the airport you are working on and paste the copied building in. It will now be in your airport. This process is a bit clumsy but a later version of ADE will make it a lot easier for you.
  13. jvile

jvile

Like Jon says I look at many different buildings all around the world to see if a certain type generic building is built the way I want.

Many generic buildings found around the world in some cases look like Terminal buildings. You can also find many that have various colors added to them.

ADE will tell you if it is a Generic building which can be placed anywhere in the world unlike the geolocked model.mdl type buildings.

Generic buildings can only be set at ground level but you can resize all of them based on width, length and height. You can also change the many different textures that make up the Generic building like the roof style or the window shapes.

My FS9/FSX Kai Tak Main Terminal building is actually a Gerneric building I found in Europe. I resized x4 and added blue colors to the top roof edge in the XML code. I also found a generic building in Singapore that I added for the Jetway to attach to. I copied it 8 times (for each Jetway) and resized which made the Main Terminal look more like the old Kai Tak Terminal.

With a little experimenting you can piece together a very large complex building just by using small Generic type buildings that already exist in FS9/FSX.

Just use the resources that FS already gives us. Sure beats trying to learn GMAX for us Novice airport designers.
  14. Reider

Reider

I`m looking for a long and high building, preferably with one of those NAV2 door openers. They all seem to be wide rather than long and the door opening ones are smallish so I might end up tackling it this way eventually. Its the one behind the tower in the real life EGCB I want, be nice to park my plane in there too. The door is usually open and inside it fits several microlights and planes.

Reider
    Last edited: 14/4/08
  15. Tako_Kichi

Tako_Kichi

ca-ontario
    I was looking at this method last night and it works well for a single object but if there are multiple objects (and different types of objects) it can be a bit of a pain reloading the 'source' and 'target' airfields each time. Would it be possible for future versions to have the ability to open multiple airfields simultaneously or if that is not possible then maybe multiple sessions of ADE? I tried to start a second ADE session last night to try copying and pasting between two open airfields and I got an error message saying ADE was already running.
  16. scruffyduck

wales
    There will be much better ways to do things in a future version. They are already on the development schedule :)
  17. Tako_Kichi

Tako_Kichi

ca-ontario
    That's wonderful news...thank you! :)