1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do you get to the ACES Image Tool?

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by CWP, 16/2/09.

1. CWP

CWP

us-nevada
    I'm thinking I don't have a full install of SDK because I can't find any of the utilities mentioned in the SDK overview. Is there a control panel? I show SDK installed in my add/remove programs but I can't find any tools to open and I would like to get to the ACES Image Tool to create an alpha channel image.

Regards: CWP
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I have that tool in ..\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK
  3. CWP

CWP

us-nevada
    Thanks Jon
    Lots to learn here! Now all I have to do is figure out how to create an alpha channel for transparent objects. Do you know where a Image Tool tutorial is??

4. meshman

meshman

withdrawn.
    Last edited: 29/6/09
  5. CWP

CWP

us-nevada
    Thanks Lance
    Good Lesson! Simple and to the point and the DXTBmp instructions seem simple and clear also.

6. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Neither ImageTool nor DXTBmp are tools to make the alpha channel. They are tools to convert the textures to a compressed format FS can read. You should create the alpha channel in your normal painting program (GIMP, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro).

I prefer to use ImageTool as it can read PSD files. In that case I can have my texture and the alpha channel in one file. Much easier to work with.
  7. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    To add to the above, Nvidia provides a Photoshop compatible plugin that works with many formats needed by FS, and is one of the few ways to create bump map textures.

The plugin can be found here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

It should work with any imaging tool that supports the more recent Photoshop plugin format.

Etienne