1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does FSX cache scenery?

Discussion in 'FSX Planner' started by sddjd, 26/6/07.

1. sddjd

sddjd

Hello all,
    I've spent the last four hours wrestling with a combination of FSXPlanner, the ADE beta 4.2, and bgl2xml. I managed to exclude the default terminals at my airport, load a freeware terminal made for fs9 while keeping the FSX ground textures, etc, etc. Not smooth, but I figured it out.

I used FSXPlanner to add jetways aligned with my new parking. I finally got them all placed and functioning correctly with the AI. However, one or two required small shifts. I exited FSX, modified the .xml, and recompiled over the previous .bgl. Now, when I restarted FSX I have double/overlapping jetways...? Further, if I removed the scenery entry via the menu and restart FSX I see the OLD gates and still the new ones...???? I've checked "clear cache on exit", but suspect somewhere I have the previous bgls lurking.

I have not modified any of the stock files, and apparently know just enough to get myself in deep.... and I was that close! Can anyone shed some light on any possible causes for my volunteer jetways? :cool:
    Last edited: 26/6/07
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    You will see the default jetways if you have not set ExcludeAllJetways to True in the deleteAirport Element
  3. rf360m

rf360m

As Jon said you need to set the appropriate delete flags to remove the default FS scenery. The delete options are located under the Prepare Options Dialog (Compile -> Prepare Options). Make sure that the delete jetways option is ticked.

You may also need to create an exclude rectangle to remove things like taxiway signs. To do this, use the exclusion rectangle tool and draw a rectangle over the area that you wish to delete the taxiway signs, etc. Then in the properties for the exclusion rectangle, select the appropriate items to be deleted.

Once there is a manual it will be much easier! :)

-Russell
  4. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    I have witnessed very strange behavior in FSX with jetways on my system.

Even with DeleteAllJetways="TRUE" I have seen them stick around after manual scenery refreshes.

It was only after a full exit and restart of the sim that things went as they should.

I cannot begin to explain what or why or how...
  5. sddjd

sddjd

Ahh, yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing; as if the .bgl I created was cached somewhere. I may need to get in the habit of logging off, then back in again as FSX exits and restarts stopped reloading the scenery correctly after several tries.

Thanks for the replies all, will have to do more experimenting after these work deadlines stop interfering with my simming! :D
  6. gsnde

gsnde

germany
    I have seen a similar strange behavior: when working on textures I reloaded my flight whenever I had updated the texture.

This worked well for some time, I could see the new texture in the sim. From some point on the objects were textured with both the old and the new version shining through each other (although the old version was physically overwritten).

Restarting FS fixed it.
  7. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    Even removing the Scenery.dat files in FS2004 did not work all the time. They cached a lot of scenery data - but they were not the only cache in FS2004.

When I get these ghosting issues - I always shut my computer down cold - power off for at least five minutes, restart and then restart FS.

I've never had a ghosting issue after a cold shutdown.

I think - pure speculation on my part - that the problem is with the computer's virtual memory. FS fills that with a lot of data, and sometimes only a cold shutdown will clear out that OS level cache.