• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA How is a scenery directory related to performance? (if it is)

Country
brazil
Hi, I have a 1Tb hard disk, divided in 3 partitions(C, D, E). My Fsx is installed on disk E, my sceneries are on disk D, this can affect the performance, time to load or something? Do i need to put the folders in the "Addon Scenery" folder?

Regards

Country
us-arizona
I think you can put your scenery folders anywhere. The real problem seems to be keeping things off of your C: drive. That seems to be the pro 'route' for people is getting things off of the 'Windows' partition (C: drive). RAID hard drives were designed to use this tech for reading information from two drives so that you were reading 'two times' the amount of hard drive data at once. But then came SSD's, and read time was raised up to like 500/500 read/write. So you might as well put all your sim folder components on a single SSD higher performance drive that is away from Windows C: drive. You 'can' experiment with using a secondary drive and see how it works. With scenery, its easy enough to route in massive scenery folders into your sim from another drive, but they need to be 'one single package' per location. So if you have like the state of Utah and you want it in your sim drive, and its massive, you can put it on another drive, then open up your sim and 'add' the scenery into your sim manually and show it where your scenery pack is and 'done', it should then show up. I was doing this with giant 'state' packs of scenery. Worked well.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
On a single hard drive, take magnetic head motion into account to retrieve your data. When installed on multiple partitions, any program might invoke more magnetic head movements than necessarsy, invoking useleass delay in retrieving dats.

The best storage for FSX is a SSD as this eliminates any delay caused by mechanical parts.

Country
brazil
I think you can put your scenery folders anywhere. The real problem seems to be keeping things off of your C: drive. That seems to be the pro 'route' for people is getting things off of the 'Windows' partition (C: drive). RAID hard drives were designed to use this tech for reading information from two drives so that you were reading 'two times' the amount of hard drive data at once. But then came SSD's, and read time was raised up to like 500/500 read/write. So you might as well put all your sim folder components on a single SSD higher performance drive that is away from Windows C: drive. You 'can' experiment with using a secondary drive and see how it works. With scenery, its easy enough to route in massive scenery folders into your sim from another drive, but they need to be 'one single package' per location. So if you have like the state of Utah and you want it in your sim drive, and its massive, you can put it on another drive, then open up your sim and 'add' the scenery into your sim manually and show it where your scenery pack is and 'done', it should then show up. I was doing this with giant 'state' packs of scenery. Worked well.

Thanks for the reply. I want to use the same way you did. But i was in doubt if it will causes any problem. Sure a SSD would be great, i need to get one.

On a single hard drive, take magnetic head motion into account to retrieve your data. When installed on multiple partitions, any program might invoke more magnetic head movements than necessarsy, invoking useleass delay in retrieving dats.

The best storage for FSX is a SSD as this eliminates any delay caused by mechanical parts.

I was imagining this. But after the scenery is loaded and the Fsx is open, can the different partitions still be a problem?

Thank you

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well, the name of your company implies that you are already familiar with Solid State Drives. The configuration you have installed Felipe, is close to optimal for good performance. Scenery folders are best stored and allocated from the Addon Scenery folder for organizational purposes. Mention was made of "C" drive; that suggestion rises from the heightened security state of Windows 10, which prevents modification of installed programs in the Program Files directories and since FSX is a collection of routines and executables, it often hangs, or worse, when attempted to be run from Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86), if installed into W10.

On a single hard drive, take magnetic head motion into account to retrieve your data.
Ya, if you are calculating orbital dynamics in real time and orienting a return transmission, read/write head delay can be a real issue. One has a bit more leeway when loading simulator sceneries.

For those needing to catch up, hard drives are built like record players, the record is the data is on platter and the needle is the read/write head. The clicking whirring noise when you start a computer is the read/write heads gathering all the necessary data to launch the OS. If you drop a hard drive, it can be damaged in the same way as if you dropped a record player.

When installed on multiple partitions, any program might invoke more magnetic head movements than necessarsy, invoking useleass delay in retrieving dats.

This is a very open statement that seems to be cautionary without providing anything quantitative. Anything could do almost anything, given the right conditions. I am imagining an array, where each mechanical hard drive stores one bit of data and I am challenging you to a race, bring as many SSD's as you'd like.
Further, a partition is only that. A 3 platter hard drive with 6 r/w heads can be formatted with 1 or 20 partitions, this does not change the ratio of storage space to availible r/w heads. Additionally, if you take a typical FSX installation and you break it up into two hard drives, now you have TWICE the r/w head transcription speed, thus halving any potential r/w delay.

A more accurate statement might be: "When installed on multiple partitions, any program might fragment to the point that r/w delay is significant." the solution is NOT to to eliminate space into which fragmentation can spread, the solution for any configuration would be to limit fragmentation.

Country
brazil
Well, the name of your company implies that you are already familiar with Solid State Drives. The configuration you have installed Felipe, is close to optimal for good performance. Scenery folders are best stored and allocated from the Addon Scenery folder for organizational purposes. Mention was made of "C" drive; that suggestion rises from the heightened security state of Windows 10, which prevents modification of installed programs in the Program Files directories and since FSX is a collection of routines and executables, it often hangs, or worse, when attempted to be run from Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86), if installed into W10.

Nice to know that!

Even if it was the case, i think it would be worth to me wait a little more for Fsx to open and have the sceneries on disk "D".

Regards